THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, if the majority thinks it looks normal, I do not worry any more about the inside buildup. I'll just try to clean the cooking grates with crumbled aluminum foil.

The water pan indeed may have been too full on that first cook, and I could not foil the pan because I could not find a fitting aluminum foil locally, which is why I'll order some extra wide extra strong online.

I did not season the WSM before first use, and I don't understand the possibility of rust, since the inside surface is completely covered by enamel.

Can anybody please show a picture of such a 16" clay saucer foiled inside the foiled pan?

Is 16" the optimal size for such a clay saucer in a WSM 22.5" water pan?

Looks normal to me too.

The clean-up doesn't bother me too much as I dump the water over the back fence and I wash down my grills anyway so it doesn't take a lot more to wash the pan at the same time. The dogs always enjoy a good sniff around the lawn where I wash it all too.

14" clay saucer in a 18.5 WSM
Now I just need some foil and some meat.

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

Just foil the pan and get rid of the water (don't need it anyway). Brush off the grates. Dump the ash. Rinse the bottom section if it really bothers you. Leave the rest of it alone. You just got your first layer of Mojo.

It's reddish-brown because there wasn't enough grease to turn it black. To fast forward the 'seasoning', get a can or two of Pam and lightly spray the inside. The more 'seasoning' you get, the better your cooker will work. Then maybe cook some really cheap bacon in it. The insides should turn a shiny black.

If you clean it out back to showroom new every time, then you're defeating the purpose.

Russ

I bought a large roll of heavy duty foil from Costco a year ago for $19 and there's still plenty left. Great for covering water pans, half sheets and foiling meat. Once you go heavy duty you won't go back.

I gave up on the water bowl Sunday. I had put too much in or something and was having trouble getting to temp. So I dumped the water and was in good shape.

That's how mine looked like after my first cook. I just cleaned the water bowl and grates. Dumped the ashes and I'm ready for the next smoke.

Hmmmm... Makes me wonder when or if I should eventually clean the thing.

Well, so the plan is to foil the water pan on both sides, then place a 16" clay saucer foiled on both sides in the water pan. Should I then put another foil on top?

First I have to get such a 16" clay saucer, then I could try with those rather thin 11.81" and 17.72" foils which I have here right now, but I will order a heavy duty 23.62" foil from a catering equipment provider I just found anyway, because the foils I have now are not even suited to foil "Danish Back Ribs" (one of five slabs ripped it open resulting in the apple juice to run out, because those foils are really thin, and expensive too).

I foil the clay pot base, put it in the water pan, then foil the top of the water pan.

Bob

Yes, this makes clean up easy as you just remove the top layer of foil wrap it up to seal in the grease from leaking and throw away.

Next cook just throw on a clean sheet of foil and you are good to go :thumb:

Once the clay flower pot base is in the water pan, how do you foil the top of the water pan? I mean, do you put it down so that it touches the top of the clay flower pot base, or does it only have a depression to collect the meat juices without touching the clay flower pot base?

I'm still having troubles imagining how a 16" clayer flower pot base looks like when put into the WSM 22.5" water pan and everything is foiled.

I may be wrong, but I think the consensus is to use the clay pot instead of the water pan. I think once you try it without the water pan you will find it is not really necessary. The clay pot is just to catch the grease dropping. I personally like for the drippings to fall on the fire and add flavor to my smoke.

The clay pot will also act as a heat shield.

Why does a fella foil the saucer and then put foil over the top? Seems like one layer of foil would be enough. I guess it doesn't hurt anything, but I wonder if it's worth it.

Pork, your going to find 2 camps with your new WSM. Use water in the pan or a substrate (clay, sand, etc.).

Water in the pan advantage:
1. It's the Weber recommended application in your owner's manual and what it was designed to do.
2. Water boils at 212*F (100*C) at sea level. This is a release of heat which converts heat energy to steam or causes evaporation within the pan. It has a natural regulating effect on the temp reaching the grill/meat.
3. This steam/vapor mixed with smoke encompasses the meat. I think it helps to keep the meat moist.

Substrate in water pan advantage:
1. Used in colder climates as any substrate will eventually assume the temperature of the fire under it. The substrate slows down the process.
2. For folks doing high heat cooks. I'm a low and slow guy but many prefer HH.
3. Altitude. Oxygen decreases with elevation making it harder for proper fuel combustion to occur therefore a cooler and slower combustion of fuel source.

Observations and things learned using my WSM:
1. I use water because I live 210 feet above sea level and during the summer and most of the winter, outdoor temps range from butt hot to mild:

2yxnb6w.jpg

This pic is from a smoke this last weekend. As you can see, my 1st 100*F were free so I'm into keeping temps down to maintain approx. 240*F for this pork shoulder:

oe6th.jpg

2. Use foil in the water pan. I use water and lining the inside of the pan with foil makes clean up easy. Line the water pan when using a substrate too.

Observations on your post:

1. You had incomplete combustion on your coal fuel. This could be due to the fuel itself, moisture absorbed into the fuel, not using enough hot starter fuel, or poor vent management/not enough O2.
2. I also noticed the water level/grease line close to the top of your water pan. This is an indication that either the fire did not get hot enough for the boiling process to take place or that your opened the unit too much to keep adding water.
3. Don't worry about it interior of your WSM. It will gunk over time. I do clean my water pan and grills everytime I use it. No worries about the interior though.

I've read some of your posts here and it seems like you really want to learn your new rig. This is why I went into detail.

Most importantly, ENJOY It while your learning it!

Good Luck, your off to a Great Start!

Back