THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
I bought 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs. Gonna make them for Christmas.

I'm going to use the rub in this recipe (minus the sugar):

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/basic-baby-back-ribs/

Now, I've seen different things about woods. Currently at my house I have hickory, apple, and cherry.

Any thoughts on which one (or combination) I should use? I was thinking of using a chunk of each, but this will be my first time making ribs, so I don't know.

Thoughts?

I generally use apple on pork. Generally I don't mix woods, but if I did on this cook it would be the apple and cherry.

My family likes the lighter fruit woods on chicken and pork. Beef seems to go better with hickory, mesquite, or oak. That's what our palates are used to.

That's the great thing about BBQ....there are no wrong answers!

Merry Christmas!

Ray

Any of them will be fine, I have a lot of cherry here and fallen hickory branches so that's what I use, I can smell the difference with the hickory smoke while it's burning but frankly I can't tell what wood was used on the finished product.
I know some people claim to be able to tell what wood was used, but I'm not one of them ,and I don't think most people can either.

I would use your Apple and Cherry in equal parts. Either one would work great by its self too. Two other woods that work well with spare ribs are Pecan and Peach. Some of the best tasting ribs I ever made were smoked with Peach wood.

Yes I'd use them, all. Got the Shirley rolling this morning with a couple of Butts on, ribs to follow in a bit. I'm using oak, cherry and some pecan. It's hard to really mess up ribs. There's no "wrong" way, but everyone foes have their preferences.

On pork ribs, fruit woods are where I would start. Apple seems to be the most often used variety but, I'd probably go with Cherry myself. If they are seasoned and sauced heavily, wood type is probably not significant.

Depends on the rub and/or sauce. Sweet ribs get apple, cherry and other light woods. Hickory if you're using a strong or spicy rub.

Wow. Thank you all very much for the tips and suggestions! I appreciate it!

Have a Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year)!

Thank you all again!

I think cherry penetrates and gives a better color than apple. The worst is when your ribs come out looking like 'the other white meat' - give me some nice color! And I believe cherry does that.

And now that I've gotten input on the wood, what temperature should I cook them at, and what temperature should I cook them to?

I've heard everything from cooking them at 225 all the way up to 275. And at what temperature are they done?

Regarding the wood, I don't think it makes much flavor difference if you're rolling TBS. Cherry gives the best color, though.

Regarding temp, I cook around 250 until I see about 3/4 inch of pull back on the end of the ribs. Not quite fall-off-the-bone tender. It's hard to temp the meat because it's so thin.

Back