Beef Cheek and Rib Pastrami

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
A couple of weeks back, my wife said she was craving a reuben, I told her to give me about a week and we would have pastrami, but I guess when the craving is on that isn't what you want to hear. Against my better judgement, I bought some at the store.........it wasn't very good. In efforts to try to erase that memory, I decided to make some homemade.

I was pretty sure I had a chunk of brisket to use, but I was either wrong or it was buried deep in the freezer. I did have a small package of ribs and some cheeks so it was game on.

I made a brine of

16 C Water
200 g Brown Sugar
100 g Sea Salt
15 g cure #1
15 g corriander seed
3 g mustard seed
3 g black pepper
1.5 g fennel seed
.3 g crushed red pepper
.3 g cloves
1 bay leaf

Brought that to a boil and cooled it down, meat went in with a plate on top to keep everything submerged then into the fridge for a week. After a week, I removed the meat and patted it dry and hit is with a mix of:

25 g brown sugar
25 g sea salt
25 g black pepper
17 g coriander seed
3 g garlic powder
3 g juniper berries
2.5 g crushed red pepper

It was about this time that I realized I hadn't taken any pics. :doh::becky:

Gave it all the mortar and pestle treatment

7hX0FCa.jpg

Coated everything heavily and into a gallon zip lock and in the fridge overnight.

BR6Cq2j.jpg

Next morning I put all the meat on a rack and into the smoker @ 250 with a little oak smoke. Gave them a spritz of beef broth anytime I had the urge to check on them.

AXKSvEA.jpg

Let them run that way for just over 6 hours, the moved the rack onto a tray, poured water in the bottom and covered it all with foil and back in the heat to steam the meat for a couple of hours.

261cBWP.jpg

Removed the foil after 2 hours, burnt myself with the steam even though right before opening the foil, I told myself to be careful. :icon_blush:

FAaMyss.jpg

I thought about cooling everything down and running it through the slicer, but it smelled so good I wasn't waiting on that, just cut them while hot on the cutting board. I don't mind the thicker cut at all for this.

sNc8ss1.jpg

I asked my wife if she wanted a reuben and she said "not really"........guess I was about 9 days or so too late. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Had some homemade sourdough sitting around so I just went with that a put a slice of swiss on top.

k5t6oYa.jpg

Pretty damn good and well worth the effort. I love beef cheeks in any form and they really worked well for this, I would have to say I prefer this and the short rib both over brisket for pastrami. As always, YMMV. :becky:

Great looking food there. I have never been able to find beef cheeks anywhere. šŸ¤

I had the same problem for a long time. I can get them from a friend of mine from time to time then lately they have been turning up at Sams club here. Not quite the same quality as fresh off the farm, but they are still pretty good.

I think short ribs have a better fat ratio than a brisket flat. Plate ribs make great pastrami too but the price plays a factor.

There is some debate on how heat of simmering or boiling your brine affects Cure #1. Heat during cooking does accelerate Cure #1, so one school of thought is that you should cool your brine down, then add the Cure #1. My current jar actually mentions mixing in cool water. So keep that in mind for next time.

e6LsfM1.jpg

I think short ribs have a better fat ratio than a brisket flat. Plate ribs make great pastrami too but the price plays a factor.

There is some debate on how heat of simmering or boiling your brine affects Cure #1. Heat during cooking does accelerate Cure #1, so one school of thought is that you should cool your brine down, then add the Cure #1. My current jar actually mentions mixing in cool water. So keep that in mind for next time.

e6LsfM1.jpg

That's what I was thinking...

And my wife would have never...Never...said I don't want a Reuben.

But that's a real good lookin sandwich. :thumb:

Good catch and call out. You are correct, of course. I always do it that way without even thinking about it anymore but didn't give it any thought on the post. Just made sure I had the ingredients and amounts right and moved on. I think I'll see if I can still edit the post on the off chance someone decides to follow this.

Back