THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wouldn't use canola oil in my saw that stuff leaves a stick film on everything if not cleaned of promptly. Nothing like have to tear apart the saw to clean the bar and chain so they will move freely since the canola oil gummed them up the last time it was used.

Bar and chain oil for the saw, canola oil for cooking.:doh:

This kind of thread shows up way too often, maybe there should be a sticky answering this question.:idea:

Well I bought a 14" electric chainsaw just for my smoking hobby and I've only ever used vegetable oil in the bar oil reservoir. It's never gummed up or caused any problems. As a bonus it is also cheaper than bar oil. My chain has not worn abnormally fast or anything like that. It smells better than bar oil too. If I was just cutting up the wood for chunks I may not have worried about the small amount of oil on the cut ends but I save the sawdust to use for smoking as well so I decided to use the veggie oil. It's also better for the environment. I think if you're not going to save the sawdust/chips use what ever you want but if you want to save them and smoke with them then use non toxic oil like vegetable or canola oil.

I have to agree that any oil on the wood is so minimum that no one will know it is there. I can't see or smell any oil on my wood and have never noticed any oil flavor from my smoked meats.

Never thought about the chainsaw thing, but I do know that the best thing for wood is beavers.

fridaywalk34.jpg

I wouldn't use canola oil in my saw that stuff leaves a stick film on everything if not cleaned of promptly. Nothing like have to tear apart the saw to clean the bar and chain so they will move freely since the canola oil gummed them up the last time it was used.

I wouldn't use canola oil from the grocery store, but there are vegetable based lubricants out there. I know the go-cart racing guys have been using plant based oils in their Rotax 2-cycle carts for years. Vegetable lubricants have been around since WWII.

Vegetable oils have great natural lubricity, but need additives to be used as lubricants, unless you use your equipment everyday. If you let your saw sit for months between uses, you will have issues as the vegetable oils oxidize and -- as mentioned -- gum up.

CD

That cherry wood is definitely contaminated by petroleum products which will give off toxic fumes when burned and can cause serious health problems. Fortunately for you, I have experience in the proper disposal of such hazardous material. Send that cherry wood off to me and I personally guarantee to incinerate it in the appropriate vessel.

I agree with the above comments. Don't stress about it. Cut it whith whatever works and it will be fine.

Add some balsamic vinegar and some lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and call it a salad!

Interesting (since I never saw this q before) I never thought about it. Can't see it being a problem at all unless you live in California. Then, it'd be illegal for whatever reason.

Joking aside, if you aren't comfy then get a bow saw and cut a little off the ends of your sticks. Clean, no oil used at all just elbow grease.

I'd caution you to not use a chop saw too. I was carefully cutting a lump of dried hickory when mine jammed and broke the aluminum guard off the saw. Luckily my fingers weren't in the way!!

skip the chop saw and as it will tend "to jump" = ouch ...pour wesson oil in the chain saw and run away with it ...i cut up/ part -out whole moose in the field every year with a chain saw......just say'in

Back