First post.. Kingsford Stockade offset and heat source question

Hope that works for you but I tried something similar with no luck. I was toying with wood grate height in the firebox. If yours is anything like mine the damper is too low for a grate that high. I cut a new wood grate out of expanded metal I bought at Home Depot for $20. Lower, at damper height, works great.

Hope that works for you but I tried something similar with no luck. I was toying with wood grate height in the firebox. If yours is anything like mine the damper is too low for a grate that high. I cut a new wood grate out of expanded metal I bought at Home Depot for $20. Lower, at damper height, works great.
Compared to the original issue where the grate sat too low (below the damper holes), it is working exponentially better. I am rolling smoke on a couple St. Louis racks right now. I first tried flipping the basket over but keeping everything on top of the grate was quite difficult. I may try the expanded metal method, but i'm sure I would need to buy the power tools or whatever else is needed to craft it. But hey if it gets me in the sweet spot then I'm all for it

Sounds like it’s working better, that’s all that matters. I bought a cut off disc/wheel for my cordless drill and with a little patience cut through the expanded metal. Good luck on the ribs. I finished a 12 hour pork shoulder smoke for dinner tonight. My 3rd cook on new/old stick burner. Definitely an art and science compared to the pellet game I’ve been used to for years.

Back