THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You could make another gauge and work both sides to the center to save a little time.

That is what I was thinking once I get to the courses that will need the IT to support the brick until the mortar sets a little. Right now it literally takes less than 60 seconds to set a brick and mortar it in.

I used a bunch of 1x2's to support the bricks as the angles got steeper. But the bricks set and stay put quickly so you can remove the supports after just a few minutes.

Looking great! there Ryan,

The sticks, recommended by carbon work great. I just want to add one other tip. At the end of each day, or for any extended breaks during the day, place one brick for the next course, dead center, in the rear of your oven. When you go back to work, you can set bricks to the left, and then to the right of it. You will be working one side, while the other is setting :smile:

Well got a little bit more done tonight, I am in good shape to get my arches started tomorrow morning and hopefully finished tomorrow evening.

3 courses pretty much completed. I have one brick to cut on each side of the opening but I was running out of daylight and didn't want to mix another batch of mortar by this time
picture.php

Got a few brick set on the 4th course to use up my remaining mortar. Will probably go the 4th course and the 5th course with 1/2 brick then I may switch to 1/3 brick, but I will make that call depending on how big the upside down "V" shape is getting by that point.
picture.php

One cut brick like this on each side of the inner arch opening, not to complicated.
picture.php

A picture of the grout bag I am using, really glad I gave this a try. Just remember enlarge the opening a little bit, make sure your mortar is mixed well, and wet the bag before putting mortar in. Load mortar twist and squeeze.
picture.php

Here is a pic of a blob of mortar that I lay down just prior to setting a brick. On the 3rd course I've also been running a vertical bead of mortar up the front edge of the brick to help get some mortar into the upside down "V" gap
picture.php

All in all a pretty good evening of work, had a fire going in the fire pit about 10 feet away, kids were running around the yard, slowed down just enough to roast some weenies and went back to work. Still have approx. 14 half bricks in my wheel barrow, loaded it up again with full brick so I am ready to cut when the time comes.

Well I knew things were going to smoothly! I forgot to offset the brick that will be the base of my outer arch, they are supposed to be 3/4" wider on each side to have easier access with the insulated door. Guess I will be starting with a repair in the morning.

Edit: after thinking about it a little while I think I have come up with a couple possible solutions that won't require me to undo any of the work.

Last edited:
Well I changed my mind about fixing my screw up, I decided that the alternatives that I came up with were to much of a compromise. So I got started by taking a handsaw and carefully cutting down the mortar joint to free the brick.
picture.php

Then I proceed to clean all of the faces so that I would get a good bond when I stuck them back together in their proper place!
picture.php

Made sure to tap a couple shims underneath my arch templates so I can remove them easily when it is time.

Inner Arch
picture.php

Outer Arch: before cleaning up the brick face
picture.php

View from a ladder, both arches and 4 courses complete.
picture.php

So far I have used about 65lbs of refractory mortar mix and I am guessing maybe 130 brick but I will have to double check that tomorrow. On a side note, I had to borrow the shims from under my interior hearth supports, when I removed them my supports pretty much fell over but the hearth didn't cave in! I of course was not worried about this at all but it is still a good sign!

Loving your work :-D

Sorry if this has been explained and I have missed it - what's teh reasoning for soaking the bricks?

A couple reasons: the first is I am just using a metal chop saw with a diamond blade so the soaked brick extend blade life and keep the dust to a minimum. The second reason is so the brick won't draw moisture out of the mortar while it is curing.

Got courses 5 & 6 installed today, starting to experience a little fatigue, mostly mental, so I am going to stop for the day and take at least tomorrow and maybe Tuesday off, depending on what the weekly schedule looks like.
picture.php

After today's progress I have used 154 firebrick and 115lbs refractory mortar. I am betting that I am going to need a little bit more of both.

FYI, my dome to arch transition isn't pretty! If I had it to do all over again I would have used longer brick on my inner arch and cut and angle on them. I saw it on a blog somewhere and I seriously considered doing it, now I wish I had, even though it's in a spot that no one will ever see it.

Been quite a busy week so I have not been able to get to much done, I was able to get most of the 7th course laid on Tuesday night. Here is a pic of the arches opened up, good news they didn't cave it!
picture.php

And tonight I reshaped my IT so that it isn't so bulky when working with these 1/3 & 1/4 brick pieces.
picture.php

I picked up another 40 firebrick and another 50# of the refractory mortar. My hope is that this will be the final purchase of those two items. I will get everything staged tonight so I can get a lot done this weekend.

Last edited:
Back