THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Then you get knocked a point by me and several judges that I know for being over sauced. As a judge, I dislike ribs and chicken thighs with an 1/8 inch coat of Blues Hog. Nothing like picking up a rib and bringing half a pound of parsley with it.

But I am not going to argue the point, or play the cooks vs. judges game -- that is just silly. Maybe judges in your area go for it, so if so, run with it. You are obviously doing well. Other top 20 teams I know blend Blues Hog. I know. I cooked with one, and they are an up and coming team.

Good luck to you next year. Maybe you can take that Okie. :thumb:

I use blues hog and their TN Red as well as Head Country. We've done pretty well with it.

I don't compete or judge (but I do strive to make the best 'que I can). Please take this question with a grain of salt. Why do you guys use commercial rubs and sauces rather than make your own? I thought that was what us amateurs did! :wacko:

I don't compete or judge (but I do strive to make the best 'que I can). Please take this question with a grain of salt. Why do you guys use commercial rubs and sauces rather than make your own? I thought that was what us amateurs did! :wacko:

Quality, consistency and someone else has done the work for you.

I used to make my own rubs for competition and I changed one of the sources for my ingredients and everything changed.

When I'm cooking every weekend, I don't want to have to stop and make up some more rub and make sure I make it exactly perfectly right.

That's why I use commercial rubs personally

i think you could put swamp boys sauce on cardboard and turn it in and still get a call!!!! it's that good.

have to agree.. we use it here on pork and chicken..(sorry Rub, we do NOT EVER sauce brisket or steaks. :tsk: :thumb::becky:) My daughter pours it on baked potatoes, rice, veggies, damn, she would put it on ice cream if she had the chance. Worked well to lightly glaze salmon too.

We won an event using Cimm Docs sweet on everything. Granted we suck a lot too and also don't compete much currently........and aren't very good looking........and like the Golden Girls.........

have to agree.. we use it here on pork and chicken..(sorry Rub, we do NOT EVER sauce brisket or steaks. :tsk: :thumb::becky:) My daughter pours it on baked potatoes, rice, veggies, damn, she would put it on ice cream if she had the chance. Worked well to lightly glaze salmon too.

Haha thanks masque13 and Poobah, y'all made my day :biggrin1:
I appreciate everyone's support.

People that don't compete are surprised and kind of disappointed when I tell them the secret is there is no secret. Most comp teams use commercial products. That said, these are products that typically aren't sold in your local supermarket. They are developed specifically for competition BBQ. If someone has spent years perfecting a sauce or rub, and it wins, what are you going to gain by rolling your own?

Most of the top teams use the same stuff. They win because they are good at what they do, and not because they have a secret sauce.

This was on display at Sam's...so I just bought all of them.
ENQE3gNl.jpg
]

This was on display at Sam's...so I just bought all of them.
ENQE3gNl.jpg
]

I used some champion's blend recently myself. I really like it, but I also agree it seems a little too thick on its own for my personal feeling of perfect BBQ.

I need to go take a judging class and become certified. I think I'm going to do that before taking any other classes actually, but from everything I can gather too much sauce is no bueno on appearance and taste.

We use BH Original and cut it with various other liquids if needed. For brisket and chicken we use something else, lately been using champ blend for those.
I don't like using multiple sauces, since we have to buy our comp sauces and rubs as pricey imports...
Swamp Boys is really good on chicken, I think we placed our highest when we tested it.

As for rubs, we use our own and also commercial stuff mixed in. Those mentioned are really good and I'm a big fan of WCO stuff.

We are a newish team, been competing around 3-4 years, but we can only do 2-3 comps a year since we have to fly in to every comp.
I think we've reached the milestone of 10 comps ever now :p
This year was really nice, 2 grands out of 3 comps total. But it's Europe, I'm sure we have long ways to go compared to you guys...

Back