winning bbq sauce and rub

wow!!! thanks for all the ON TOPIC responses y'all. Gonna go with what I know, intense flavors, but balanced, with a base of perfectly cooked meat. Saw something up there in the thread about parsley sticking to the meat, its always bugged me too! thanks for the responses guys! Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving! All you Brethren Dudes & Galls, I would love to show off my new joint to you if you are in the Charleston area ever. Hit me up at johnlewis469@hotmail.com

Thanks again, and keep the responses coming, I've got 6 more days to figure out the game plan!

This Thread has been scrubbed of offtopic BS.

Adding to what Ron said, I'm gonna chime in just once, because honestly I'm fed up with what has become one members typical and somewhat expected behavior. Without names, you know who u are. I'm dictating this on phone and don't have time to haggle via PM.

As far as this forum goes, it IS TIME to become the turn the other cheek guy because I'm personally tired of the crappy attitude and members leaving or stop posting because of it. So, from this point forward, if you can not keep your responses civil and factual, DO NOT RESPOND AND MOVE TO ANOTHER THREAD. THE next time the soap box comes out or the passive aggressive bullchit is pulled, the door gets locked.

Btw... I don't need or want a pm to discuss this.. no time or patience for discussion.

Adding to what Ron said, I'm gonna chime in just once, because honestly I'm fed up with what has become one members typical and somewhat expected behavior. Without names, you know who u are. I'm dictating this on phone and don't have time to haggle via PM.

As far as this forum goes, it IS TIME to become the turn the other cheek guy because I'm personally tired of the crappy attitude and members leaving or stop posting because of it. So, from this point forward, if you can not keep your responses civil and factual, DO NOT RESPOND AND MOVE TO ANOTHER THREAD. THE next time the soap box comes out or the passive aggressive bullchit is pulled, the door gets locked.

And thanks again since I can only thank once. By the way as the grand poobah, do you have one of those cool arse hats?

Wow. I saw this question and thought 14 replies is a lot of insight. But all I see is two dudes in a pissing contest. Take it to the Wood Pile! :boxing:

I kept seeing this thread pop up but mostly ignored it. Why? Honestly there is very little data exchange in this particular sub forum. I can definitively say i have learned more about bbq hanging in the woodpile. I get not giving secrets but its more like folks get concerned with not selling information via a class or divulging that winning tip would ruin them. Whats funny is how once it was noted who the op was everyone got real helpful of of a sudden. Meow im glad i stopped by....one of the comp forums more informative threads

John Lewis of famed Franklin/LaBBQ comes on the forum and asks a simple question about a comp sauce. Instead of "Hey! Good to have to here!" it turns into a 5th grade pissing match.

Interesting.

Yes how embarrassing. Bbq celebrity shows up and we show our asses to him

What would we do if meathead asked about turn in boxes?

If you don’t think there’s any useful information shared in the comp forum, you may want to adjust your reading glasses. Granted, you have to sift through a lot of chaff to get to it, but it’s absolutely there. I’d say that 90% of what I’ve seen in the BBQ classes I’ve taken is somewhere in this forum.

Of course, if you don’t compete (or judge or organize or rep or otherwise participate in competitions on any level whatsoever), it’s less of a surprise that you don’t get much from this forum. :thumb:

I kept seeing this thread pop up but mostly ignored it. Why? Honestly there is very little data exchange in this particular sub forum. I can definitively say i have learned more about bbq hanging in the woodpile. I get not giving secrets but its more like folks get concerned with not selling information via a class or divulging that winning tip would ruin them. Whats funny is how once it was noted who the op was everyone got real helpful of of a sudden. Meow im glad i stopped by....one of the comp forums more informative threads

Yes how embarrassing. Bbq celebrity shows up and we show our asses to him

What would we do if meathead asked about turn in boxes?
Comp bbq is a completely different arena. Thousands of dollars and countless hours go into it. Which is why you have to read between the lines in this area of the site to pick up tips.

Brad (Gettin Basted) shares more tidbits on here than anyone. Which he sure as hell doesn’t have to do.

Comp bbq is a completely different arena. Thousands of dollars and countless hours go into it. Which is why you have to read between the lines in this area of the site to pick up tips.

Brad (Gettin Basted) shares more tidbits on here than anyone. Which he sure as hell doesn’t have to do.

Oh i understand its different. Heck alot of this sub forum isnt pertinent for me to begin with. Scoring guidelines, rep questions, comp timelines, turn in boxes, alot of factors off of my radar. I also understand many post here are from guys seeking the magic bullet and that there is no such thing.

The thing is any top team could give me a process step for step and i doubt it would come out like theirs. It still takes skill. I appreciate the flow of info.

To the OP, everything mentioned works very well when used correctly.

Of course I'm a fan of everything Swamp Boys. It's not been mentioned but my rub is killer on ribs.

Good luck to you!

When does the lard and vinegar sauce hit the market?:thumb: Continued safe travels!

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
The thing is any top team could give me a process step for step and i doubt it would come out like theirs. It still takes skill. I appreciate the flow of info.

And that’s the real key to threads like this. Not only is skill involved, so it the cooker, wood, timing, etc. Knowing what rubs and sauces are winning in only a piece of the puzzle.

I agree about Brad sharing a lot, more than he has to. That's part of the reason I signed up for his class with Tim (Shake n Bake). While the reviews of the class speak for themselves (at this point I hear more about how good their class is than anyone else's) which had me ready to go, I also didn't necessarily want to travel for one (I'm spoiled here in KC - I don't travel for much of anything BBQ related, except some comps in Mid MO). I decided to sign up for the one in Washington, MO, but then lucked out when they announced the one here before I signed up for that one.

With as much as he shares here, I have no doubt that I'll get the goods in January.

I do not compete, but I like to blend some Blues Hog Champions Blend with a bit of Blues Hog Tenn. Red added. And my favorite rub on pork and chicken is Butchers Honey. The family can't seem to get enough of it!!

Last edited:
Hey y'all, getting ready to do my first KCBS comp in quite a few years next week. Was wondering what's hitting these days as far competition rubs and sauces. I used to use Plowboys rub, Headcountry and Blues Hog sauce. Is any of that still working? Thanks for any recommendations!

We use Blues Hog and Eat BBQ Sauces in some combination. We're new but just starting to get a call here and there.

On a side note I ate at your restaurant the month it opened in Charleston and it was amazing. Can't wait to have an excuse to be back in the area so I can double down on all of it.

i was a blues hog/head country mix advocate for many years... then moved away from head country and to Blues Hog Champions blend and added a litttle more blues hog original to that. IMHO, Head country was too overwhelming in the liquid smoke component.

The last few years, Swamp boys original took center stage on chicken and ribs.
and pork got blues hog original cut with tennesse red.. The swamp boys stuff is my go to sauce here at home too.

Back