THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best we scored with wings in KCBS chicken was a 4th at Harpoon last year, out of 42 teams. I don't have the exact pic of those but this is a similar looking box.

chicken that looks as good as sweetbreathe's should clearly be successful every time.
i mean really, if it tastes 1/2 as good as it looks i still don't understand why it can't be consistently rewarded.

with that said, this is still going in my box:

View attachment 54970

Last edited:
Technically, there is no rule for that. It is not mentioned in the CD played (or rules read) during the judges meeting. Some reps will mention that cooks can turn in more than one cut/style in a single entry and recommend the judge sample each but that its not required. And there is no ruleon how to combine the relative merits of the different cuts/styles.

this is fast becoming one of my pet peeves...... there is no rule that says a judge is to try each thing put in the box. If it is not "technically" a rule, its not a rule. Is it so far off base to think that there may be more than one style of that meat in the box so there is enough for each judge to pick the one they prefer?

I have no idea why a reps are mentioning/suggesting it no more than I understand why some reps feel obliged to inform judges how thick a "good" slice of brisket is supposed to be.

Now please understand that i do not put anything into a box i do not want to be judged. To that end when you hear a judge make a comment like "that pork was good but i marked them down because I am not a fan of slices" is annoying when then why did he take them? If I put 12 thighs in a box are the judges going to each try 2?

I recently had a judge give me a hypothetical saying I may be DQ'd if I i filled the box with 6 thighs and 2 whole breasts because there was not enough breast for each judge to sample. Once again not a rule and the box would be well within the established criteria but I got the "well its not technically a rule" answer.

No offense to the judges out there and I am by no means trying to judge bash but with so much of judging being subjective in nature (appearance, taste and tenderness) it is a bit aggravating when the few objective standards that are in place are not adhered to.

this is fast becoming one of my pet peeves......

I recently had a judge give me a hypothetical saying I may be DQ'd if I i filled the box with 6 thighs and 2 whole breasts because there was not enough breast for each judge to sample.

I agree with you Sean. That's crazy. If the judge wanted to offer and opinion that he thought it was a bad idea to only include two pieces of the breast in the box, thats one thing, but to indicate it is possibly grounds for DQ, when you've stuffed 8 pieces of chicken in a box. :doh:

I'll be attending a judging class in a few weeks, and I intend to bring a few of the topics in this thread up in the class. Will be curious how they are handled.

Back