THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

booth74

Found some matches.
Brethren

Our team is looking at doing chicken lollipops for competition

I made some up last night and taste and color were fine, but only a few were bite though. I took the skin off and scraped the back then reattached. Were the not bite through because I took the skin completely off? I have seen guys not even worry about scrapping the back f the skin on youtube when doing legs.

Any help is appreciated we have a comp this weekend

Also I saw a turn in box that had 6 thighs and six lollipops, how would this get judged as it is two pieces of meat per judge

thank you

As far as the KCBS judging aspect - judges are encouraged to take one of everything in the box to judge and average the score of the different pieces; HOWEVER, this is NOT required. I've see some judges just take the type that they like the best (either a thigh or a leg in this case) and score it only. Depends on the judge, but I believe that most will take both and average.

As far as how to make the skin bite-through = that is something that will take LOTS of practice and patience! Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you some really good advice!

Good luck with your contest!

I'm no master at lollipops, only cooked them a few times and found that cooking them closer to an IT of 185 has helped with the skin. Be sure you brine or inject so they don't dry out. I can't get them in the box the way I want so I'm working on that.

Cook them less than you would your thighs (about 10 - 15 minutes less), that seemed to help us. Also - Garrett mentioned - brine or inject to keep them moist, because they have a tendency to dry out.

We too struggle with the presentation on our legs.

If you are consistent on getting bite through thighs . . . then cook thighs. Don't cook something you are not great at and works every time. Abandon the lollipops and stick to what works.

Eggspert

As far as the KCBS judging aspect - judges are encouraged to take one of everything in the box to judge and average the score of the different pieces; HOWEVER, this is NOT required. I've see some judges just take the type that they like the best (either a thigh or a leg in this case) and score it only. Depends on the judge, but I believe that most will take both and average.

As far as how to make the skin bite-through = that is something that will take LOTS of practice and patience! Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you some really good advice!

Good luck with your contest!

KCBS does not instruct judges to average a score when judging multiple types of meat in an entry. Judges are encouraged to sample each type of meat as presented and affix a score between 2 and 9.
How a judge arrives at that number is up to them through experience and current rules and procedures.
Ed

KCBS does not instruct judges to average a score when judging multiple types of meat in an entry. Judges are encouraged to sample each type of meat as presented and affix a score between 2 and 9.
How a judge arrives at that number is up to them through experience and current rules and procedures.
Ed

Apparently the REPs in your area are different than the REPs in my area (which is all over the east and a few comps elsewhere too), as this is a common question that comes up during the judge's meeting and the REPs answer is always similar - to average the score. PM me if you want more specifics.

We do lollipops, but go skinless. Our scores went up after making the decision to just take it off completely. Give it a shot.

Brethren

Our team is looking at doing chicken lollipops for competition

Any help is appreciated we have a comp this weekend

thank you

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider doing lollipops until you are able to master them every time. Especially if your thighs are bite through. My recommendation...practice, practice and practice some more. And once you have it figured out, practice again. Waiting until 4 days before a comp to ask for advice will do you no good unless you have time to practice the advice you get.

As a Judge I've heard and used all sorts of terms when more than one form of approved meat is presented n a box. General instruction is, it its in the box it should be judged.
two types of chicken and 6 of each, you should take one of each, after all the cook put it in there to be judged. Same for brisket slices, shreds, burnt-ends. Pork can be a three-way sliced, chunked, pulled enough for 6 in each, take some of each.

Averaging, balancing what ever you want to call it. A judge takes into account all the meat that they are Judging for an entry.
I would suspect tenderness is the one where a cook can get hurt or helped the most.
No decimals at the table

Apply a good coating of spray butter or other type of oil. Just like your turkey on thanksgiving. If you use a butter bath while cooking take out about 20 mins early and smoke them at a higher temp. Free tip, place honey butter spread at the top of the meat and let it cook down into the skin. On legs this is fire.

Did some lollipop chicken for Fathers day, figured while the butts were on we would practice for competition. We smoked them in two pans. Each pan had 1 whole stick of butter in it. Perfect bite through skin.

1. Prepped and rubbed the night before
eg37.jpg

2. After smoking with apple wood for 2 hours at 300
05d5.jpg

3. Sauced and back on the smoker
5r6o8.jpg

4. Off the smoker and resting for a few minutes
m4ux.jpg

Show your skills as top notch pitmaster and make some awesome lollipops and you will be rewarded .

Chicken in Assassin...

@wicked smoke bbq- were those on your Assassin 28? were you running at 225 or 275?

looking good! I just moved to a superior in hopes to do all meats in one box, we have been using a traeger for chicken and haven't reproduced the same results in the superior

Thanks
Dan

@wicked smoke bbq- were those on your Assassin 28? were you running at 225 or 275?

looking good! I just moved to a superior in hopes to do all meats in one box, we have been using a traeger for chicken and haven't reproduced the same results in the superior

Thanks
Dan

Yes these were on the Assassin. I set the Stoker to 300 and let them smoke for about 2 hours (till the temp is 165) then I removed them and sauced. Placed back on the smoker at 300 for another 15-20 minutes for the sauce to glaze over and pulled.

Back