THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These guys have a knack for over thinking just about every food item that comes across thier cutting board. They have been featured on seriouseats a couple of times. Notably for a BLT that wasn't really a BLT. Although there is some science in this technique. I'm with the there are better means to a well, not well done, cooked steak camp. As for giving it a go? Na, rather not risk the dollars just to find out it's whacked.

Ive had deep fried steak bites and they were good. I'd give it a try - why not - people are boiling steaks inside a vacuum bag?

My only problem is I like mine rare and this seems way over done.

Fear no meat!

No. Not ever. No no no.

Listen, these instructions aren't really meant for us (I hope). What I took from this is a "foolproof" steak method devised for the average man who doesn't know how to cook a steak properly and lacks any specialized equipment.. or probably more like for the woman because what man doesn't know how to cook a steak or own a grill? ???

To much work. Here's my easy to follow process:

1) Get lump charcoal burning in grill.
2) Place steak over burning lump.
3) Take steak off when it reaches your favorite temperature.
4) Eat.

Deep frying is a great way to get an even deep sear on all of the meat, but that procedure sounds far too time consuming for a steak. Might as well make some pulled pork if I have that kind of time.

I'd deep fry a steak. Not with all those steps, but sounds interesting. There are recipes that call for cubing up beef,pork, meat and then giving it a sear in a hot pan with lots of oil and then transferring that into another pot for additional cooking with other stuff. So this really isn't much different. I wouldn't do it to a $50 steak, but I can get a 1lb ribeye for around $12-15 at Costco and would be fun to try.

This seems kind of like folks that hammer on crock pots because it isn't really "fancy cooking". They look at it as "crock pot cooking" vs what it is doing a lot of the time and that is braising, a technique taught to all chefs. But take a fancy pot, put meat/veggies in there and toss it in an oven to "braise" for 5-6hrs and you are a culinary master :shock: and no one lifts a nose :becky:.

I have actually deep fried steak before, and it was darn good too, but not that way. Way too much work!! It has been a while, but I think it was some Strip Steaks in an actual deep fryer @ 360 degrees F. Only took about 1.5 min. for med.-med. rare. It was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

I have actually deep fried steak before, and it was darn good too, but not that way. Way too much work!! It has been a while, but I think it was some Strip Steaks in an actual deep fryer @ 360 degrees F. Only took about 1.5 min. for med.-med. rare. It was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

You're right Gary ....Chicken fried steak in a pan or fryer is good eats but I think this pushes the envelope a bit to far. Bon Appetite has been known to get carried away and make simple things complex .

Last edited:
The science makes sense. Oil is a better conductor of heat than air, so you get more even browning (Maillard reaction). They're slow cooking for most of it, which is the right way to break down all the fats and connective tissue without overcooking the steak. Basically if you want a *perfect* crust, you'd want to do something like this.

If you want smokey flavor, chuck it in the smoker at 200F instead of in the oven.

That said, too much work for perfection. I'll take uneven browning and cooking over fire any day.

If you've ever had a steak at Ruth's Chris, your steak was cooked similar to this.

I prefer my steak to have a grilled flavor.

Yes have deep fried Ribeyes salt and pepper rest. heat oil to 350/360 put steaks in one at a time when they float they are done. Oil seals in juices just like deep frying a turkey. They also make a rack that you can put meat into to lower all at once. Go on try it it's something different just like deep fryied turkey.

I'm not doing this either. I believe Modernist Cuisine's approach to the perfect hamburger is to liquid nitrogen freeze the patty, then deep fry it. Same idea as DaveAlvarado mentions regarding browning (all over, not just sides), while freezing keeps it rare in the middle.

I could maybe see experimenting on some chuck (if I had all the equipment), but there's no way I'm going to subject an expensive steak to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author copped the concept from Myhrvold.

I have a tendency to overthink things, but I feel no need to do something that seems completely overcomplicated when a simple direct sear (for thinner steaks) or reverse sear (for thicker steaks) consistently produces an amazing product?

I would give this method a try. It makes complete sense to me. You get a much better and even crust than cooking it on a grill. I would put it on a grill with some hardwood to finish cooking instead of an oven.

Before sous vide became popular, I wonder what the reactions for most of the people would be if you told them to put your steak in a bag in warm water. Then take it out of the bag and "char" it with a blow torch....

Back