Why the Pit Barrel Cooker Works

Having built two UDS's for competition, I can say that my time and energy are worth FAR more than $300 per unit. I have lit my UDS exactly once in the past three years, since I received my PBC.

Now that the PBC has a baked porcelain-enamel coating (at virtually the same price), it takes what was an obvious game changer to a while new level.

I will leave aside the fact that I've beaten Johnny Trigg in ribs each time that I've met him in competition with the PBC.

John

I feel just terrible for that horse...poor poor guy.

Hey all these cookers have different attributes and everyone wants to be proud of the cooker they bought and use so we should all be respectful to that.

Don't feel too bad. If the horse is already dead, he probably doesn't care about the additional bludgeoning. That also reminds me that the PBC has horseshoe handles and stand. Gentleman start you engines...

Don't feel too bad. If the horse is already dead, he probably doesn't care about the additional bludgeoning. That also reminds me that the PBC has horseshoe handles and stand. Gentleman start you engines...
I do care Bob...just for the pure humanity of it. May God have mercy on that poor poor horsey ( I picture a little pony) :mrgreen:

Never said it wasn't a good cooker as it is just mini UDS. It is lacking in size after all. Just don't buy the BS science claims from some shumck. All BS opinion from some individual that claims to be a dr. Of bbq because he has a PBC. I have never ever made such outlandish claims anywhere. I cook food that my friends and family enjoy. Never said or implied my UDS is the bomb. Sounds like drum envy...sorry it's only 30 gallons in size.

Didn't bring the hate just the suido science of how it's better or cooks better than anything else or a UDS. Put lip stick on a pig it's still a pig. Hang meat in a PBC it's still a UDS mini cause thier to cheap to ship a 55 gallon drum. Don't need to publish on an established cooker that is coming up to temp as I type.

It's the opinion on the science of why it's better than a UDS design that has been around since 55 gallon drums existed. discussion of BBQ at the butcher on thus, yeah I cooked on drums in the 80's.

Good for you for supporting a made in USA product. I approve 100%. Just don't claim it's one step up from any UDS from the 700 page thread because it's still a pig, only smaller.

Maybe I'm wrong but I read through this entire thread and I don't think anyone was saying a PBC was better than a UDS. I'm not even sure anyone thinks it is even different accept for the FACT that just about every UDS built is built differently. Because of this some work great others don't. But to say or imply anyone who buys a PBC is somehow wasting their money is false as well. I bought my PBC barely used for almost half price. But after using it I can see that it's definitely worth $300. I think if anything the science these guys are talking about just explains the different size barrels. But I think its not a surprise really as I've read the same kinda thing about the difference between the 18.5 WSM and the 22. There are those who've cooked on both that swear the 18 cooks better......

Like I stated earlier, I think when Noah designed his product and marketed it, it wasn't marketed to you or anyone else who has the skills, tools, and/or time to build their own....But I also find it interesting that there are several skeptical people who after using the PBC don't touch their UDS much anymore.....refer to Patio Daddio's post above.........hhhmmmm

Never said it wasn't a good cooker as it is just mini UDS. It is lacking in size after all. Just don't buy the BS science claims from some shumck. All BS opinion from some individual that claims to be a dr. Of bbq because he has a PBC. I have never ever made such outlandish claims anywhere. I cook food that my friends and family enjoy. Never said or implied my UDS is the bomb. Sounds like drum envy...sorry it's only 30 gallons in size.

OK, an opinion from ignorance will be taken as such.

John

Apparently you did not read my posts carefully. Dr. Greg Blonder is a real PHD. Check it out. Not everything is BS just because you say it is. And it is good to hear that you do not claim to be a doctor. That makes two of us.

Having built two UDS's for competition, I can say that my time and energy are worth FAR more than $300 per unit. I have lit my UDS exactly once in the past three years, since I received my PBC.

Now that the PBC has a baked porcelain-enamel coating (at virtually the same price), it takes what was an obvious game changer to a while new level.

I will leave aside the fact that I've beaten Johnny Trigg in ribs each time that I've met him in competition with the PBC.

John

What!?!?! Nothing wrong with my PBC but now I want the new model. And I see that you can get just the barrel for $159 on their site? Hmm....

dead-horse.gif

What!?!?! Nothing wrong with my PBC but now I want the new model. And I see that you can get just the barrel for $159 on their site? Hmm....

Gitcha one, it's gorgeous! It also features thicker steel (roughly10 lbs heavier), a new carbon steel coal grate and a few other improvements. You can see it in action in Noah's new HD videos at their site.

John

I have a feeling the horse will be buried only to be dug up again and beaten some more later. There's a herd of dead horses that are beaten daily here. Lol.......I love it! Everyone loves their cooker here, it's great! But I don't care what the rest of you say my PBC cooks better than your (insert the name of your cooker here) does!

I have a feeling the horse will be buried only to be dug up again and beaten some more later. There's a herd of dead horses that are beaten daily here. Lol.......I love it! Everyone loves their cooker here, it's great! But I don't care what the rest of you say my PBC cooks better than your (insert the name of your cooker here) does!

Last year I posted a tongue in cheek thread in woodpile that referenced the ad nauseum PBC debate that seems to never die:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185406

That said, I haven't cooked on mine in some time, and thanks to this thread I'm pulling mine out out of the garage and cooking up some delicious PBC chicken for dinner tonight! :thumb: :clap2:

I think I'm gonna do some thighs in mine tonight too if they get thawed in time! :thumb:

Guys I don't get either one. Pit barrel cooker or drum. I have the beginnings of a drum but never have time to build it and get all the supplies. They look the same to me. Although I had an idea... How about a cook off? PBC vs. ugly drum smokers. Plain and simple the contest to finally finish the beating of this dead horse once and for all. Time to put your cooking and your cookers to the test. I say pick a sanctioned contest and everyone enters with their drum or pit barrel cooker and who ever gets the highest overall score wins. Either that or a centrally located brethren bash with a PBC vs UDS war/cook off. Just think how awesome and competitive that contest would be.

Guys I don't get either one. Pit barrel cooker or drum. I have the beginnings of a drum but never have time to build it and get all the supplies. They look the same to me. Although I had an idea... How about a cook off? PBC vs. ugly drum smokers. Plain and simple the contest to finally finish the beating of this dead horse once and for all. Time to put your cooking and your cookers to the test. I say pick a sanctioned contest and everyone enters with their drum or pit barrel cooker and who ever gets the highest overall score wins. Either that or a centrally located brethren bash with a PBC vs UDS war/cook off. Just think how awesome and competitive that contest would be.

The mighty North Texas Bash is coming up soon.

I've been watching some of the videos on the PBC website. Very Cool! I do have a question for anyone that hangs meat in their cooker. Has it ever gotten so tender that it pulls apart from the hook and falls in the fire? I did some ribs yesterday and got them over tender in foil. I think if they were hanging the meat would have pulled away from the bone. I'm thinking about getting the WSM hanging rack and giving it a try.

The mighty North Texas Bash is coming up soon.

I've been watching some of the videos on the PBC website. Very Cool! I do have a question for anyone that hangs meat in their cooker. Has it ever gotten so tender that it pulls apart from the hook and falls in the fire? I did some ribs yesterday and got them over tender in foil. I think if they were hanging the meat would have pulled away from the bone. I'm thinking about getting the WSM hanging rack and giving it a try.

I'd love to make it to the bash and show off a couple things i've got cooking to add to the mix...unfortunately it's way to far although I want to make it down for the ND Texas game 2016

Here is the way my taste buds saw it.

WSM tasted better than any BBQ joint I've ever eaten
PBC tasted as good or better than any Brazilian Steak House I've ever dined

Both taste profiles are great- just different

UDS- I've never owned a 55 gallon drum smoker so it would be farking idiotic for me to attempt address the differences/ similarities etc

Lots of "closed mind open mouth syndrome" when it comes to the American Made Cooker

I wish that there was a BPS bling kit for the PBC

I don't know that I can travel that far myself but maybe to make up for distance we get a bash organized one in each state or region we can get one organized. We have a cook off at each one and then we have two teams team pit barrel cooker and team Ugly Drum Smoker. For each bash the winner will score 1 point for their team and whichever team gets the most points will prove once and for all which one is the best one the Pit Barrel Cooker or the Ugly Drum Smoker. Not sure on how to work out all the details to do this but I am sure there are plenty of people that can get something going and help newbies to organizing an event get something going. Just wondering if you guys like the idea of a War/competition?

Back