THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For me competition Q is way more about the COMPETITION than the Q. I had only even cooked one or two terrible briskets until I wanted to get into competition! I get it if some salt and pepper purists don't like competition Q but I simply don't care, I only care about winning, lol. If squeeze butter and honey is what I thought that is what would give me the edge to win, I wouldn't hesitate. I also enjoy the comrade and friendly BBQ people! PS, my backyard and comp BBQ is pretty close to the same, I just back off the flavors and richness for backyard so we can eat more, lol.

It's magical!! :clap2:

I really want a slow mo video of that butter going all over the briskey set to some seventies *cough* chicka chicka *cough* music with a "Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......" thrown in there.

Enjoying all the comments and posts on this one. I help a buddy out that does comp, its fun. I enjoy beer and bbq together too much to ever be a serious competitor though I believe. BBQ and FUN go together the best, whatever fun is for you, that's what you should do.

I really want a slow mo video of that butter going all over the briskey set to some seventies *cough* chicka chicka *cough* music with a "Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......" thrown in there.

Enjoying all the comments and posts on this one. I help a buddy out that does comp, its fun. I enjoy beer and bbq together too much to ever be a serious competitor though I believe. BBQ and FUN go together the best, whatever fun is for you, that's what you should do.

I did something similar here when probing a pork loin :mrgreen:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr4CcjtlL3s"]Pork - YouTube[/ame]

OK,

Look at the butter honey brisket and play this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmpyW-crkM"]Come With Me - Rare Earth - YouTube[/ame]

Best post of the day! You sir win my vociferous praise.

Your praise is like unto the iridescent oleaginous sheen of a viscous dairy analogue, trickling sensuously onto the surface of aged bovine pectoralis major in a way that could only be described by Nigella Lawson after imbibing indiscreet quantities of Bombay Sapphire gin.

Your praise is like unto the iridescent oleaginous sheen of a viscous dairy analogue, trickling sensuously onto the surface of aged bovine pectoralis major in a way that could only be described by Nigella Lawson after imbibing indiscreet quantities of Bombay Sapphire gin.

Dat dere is some fancy verbiage.

Can we now please get back on topic? Which I think was slowly dripping gooey stuff on meat to a libidinous sound track.

Dat dere is some fancy verbiage.

Can we now please get back on topic? Which I think was slowly dripping gooey stuff on meat to a libidinous sound track.

"Would you like to... feed me?", she breathed. "I am deeply in need of meat... With just enough pull, and a rich luscious mouth feel."

He looked at her for a moment, finally dared to ask. "Do you mean low and slow, or hot and fast?"

Bob's right... Time to get this back on topic...

Ok I will.

I don't like it because your judged on the greens that are in the turn in box! What in the world does that have to do with taste or tenderness? I don't get it!

However, as I posted in this thread earlier, I still want to enter a comp in a baaaad way!

I have never been to a comp only seen them on TV. I appreciate the idea of cooking under time pressure and putting out a consistent uniform product. I think for my self comp may be in my future but I have a long way to go. Bottom line no negativity from me toward comp.

I judge BBQ. I originally wanted to judge to learn more about what it takes to win a competition. I am still interested in competing, but it may take a while. I agree with the fact that eating about 2# of BBQ might sound good, but in practice, it isn't just BBQ. You have to cleanse your palate in between entries, so also add a few crackers and water to the mix. At the end of the day, I really don't want any more BBQ for a while. What I have found the norm is Chicken- glazed with sweet sauce, hopefully skin is bite through- trying to replicate bite through skin at home is not easy. Ribs- by KCBS standard, they are under done for my preference, but they are more or less sweet with heat (majority) Pork- too much emphasis is put on the "money muscle" slices. It is ok, but a well cooked and juicy tenderloin i better (to me), Brisket- great entries are rare. I know one when I see one, but most times I have experienced over done brisket, which is I think most people would prefer, but doesn't stand muster with the judging standard. I see a lot of judges with baggies at events taking their left overs home with them. Many complain when they are told they cannot. Peronally, I think it is a waste to throw out half a slice of brisket, or half a chicken thigh or whatever. But, I can understand why some teams get angry about that. So, I do not take leftovers home. But, that i me. My area is saturated with judges. Getting picked to judge is not easy. I do not know the criteria organizers use to select judges, but I do know that it is not easy to be picked even if you are one of the first to apply. But that is another topic....

I don't like it because your judged on the greens that are in the turn in box! What in the world does that have to do with taste or tenderness? I don't get it!

In KCBS, the judges are instructed to NOT factor in the garnish in the appearance score. Television has created preconceived notions on how BBQ competitions are judged.

In KCBS, the judges are instructed to NOT factor in the garnish in the appearance score. Television has created preconceived notions on how BBQ competitions are judged.

Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks for the clarification!

So if it isn't taken into the scoring, can it be left out of the box?

Back