Why brisket is overrated

If I try cooking something and I can't make it well after a few attempts, I just stop making it and order it out.

I don't try to convince others that it's evil.

Everything you say you don't like about cooking brisket, from choosing the right one to getting it seasoned and cooked to that perfect tenderness is exactly why some of us love it. It's a challenge, not everyone can do it, you may not get it right every time, but when you do it's one of the most rewarding culinary experiences you can have.

Welcome back!

Brisket has become my favorite piece of meat to cook. It takes practice to get it rite. I like cooking it because it's a long cook. It takes time, patience and a lot of beer but the end result when it all comes together is very rewarding

Mod Note:

Gang, we’ve been through this before! Anyone is free to post their opinion! IT IS NOT OK to attack them for doing so! Accusations of trolling and telling someone to GTFO will not be tolerated! If you can’t comment without resorting to personal attacks, walk away and find another thread! If a particular member’s posts tick you off, use the ignore feature! We are getting tired of dealing with these pissing matches!

IMO, brisket is in no way overrated. In fact I believe that the point is the tastiest part of the entire cow. No need to inject, salt and pepper plus a nice piece of meat is all you need. But to each their own. Don’t like it, don’t cook it. For me, it’s my favorite protein to cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like brisket fine, but it's not one I cook very often. Besides, my favorite brisket is homemade pastrami in a Reuben sandwich, with homemade kraut!

Bonus is the BBQ guy down the street does excellent brisket, usually available when the mood strikes!

It's true, everyone loves brisket, but there is only one Arron Franklin
1. Brisket is an awesome piece of meat. Once you figure it out no luck is required to obtain fairly consistent results.
2. Every animal is different so every packer is different, making it very satisfying when you nail an oddly shaped one.
3. BBQ is making tough cheap meats delicious, no need for Wagyu unless you want to dip your toe in the high end pool.
4. Talk to almost any brisket cook and you'll find everyone's process is slightly different. Unwrapped, wrapped,(foil, paper) oven finish, every method capable of producing a very good product.
5. Cows are big they have a lot of meat.

we like what we like. I dont care for the strip loin, I'd rather have a sirloin but prefer a ribeye. others feel opposite.

alot of people around this area dont really know what it is, it's not available at every market. ove made it for a few parties and these commoners are usually in awe of the combo of smoke pepper and beef even if they dont know what animal they are eating.

as for needing to be braised or wrapped or whatever read up on Walter Jetton. he basically simmered and seared. bbq is way more than 4 meats cooked indirect low and slow. he also didn't use a single cut of meat, this was preboxed days. butchers use to get sides of beef and break them down. now most get boxes of of precut primals or cuts. brisket like most traditions is not as old of one as people think.

thay said I love it. brisket is my spirit animal

Well, this is what makes horse races.

I like brisket. A lot. The first time I had good smoked brisket (In Texas, of course) I knew I had found a culinary promised land. Still feel that way.

I enjoy cooking it. It's a process. The hardest thing about it is patience. I go naked throughout and probably give it more smoke than many but ....

that's the way
uh huh uh huh
I like it
uh huh uh huh

Cooking Naked is a bold strategy, Cotton. I'd give it a whirl today, but it's 38 degree with 30 MPH winds right now.

But I think I found what my brisket cooks have been missing. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Personally, of all the things you can Smoke or BBQ (Or whatever region you're from calls it) Brisket is the king of beef.

Someone on these forums once said (many times) "Even bad BBQ can make awesome chili" and I'm a true believer in that. Things someone personally thinks they messed up, give them 24 hours and suddenly they have some of the most delicious looking soups, stews, chilis or hashes I've ever seen.
I love brisket, it's corned beef, it's pastrami, it's burnt ends... it's everything I love about cooking, so versatile and so tasty, the sky is the limit.

The true history of BBQ is about taking the scraps or throwaway portions of the animal that the wealthy didn't want, and turning it into food for your family. We've turned what was trash into a highly sought after cut of meat with culinary know how and creative cooking, same thing happened to Lobster...

I've got a 12.4lb brisket going in the smoker Monday, can not wait to fire it up and taste the results...

I can't believe I'm responding to this thread. When I cook pork butts for people, I get raves and thank yous. When I cook brisket, I get restaurant gift cards, casseroles, and thank you cards. Evidently, there are a lot of people who really like brisket, including me. The fact that not everyone can cook it well just makes feel good that I can.

I too used to think brisket was overrated. Then after many failed attempts it all came together and I started properly cooking brisket. Properly cooked brisket=bbq nirvana.

I'm with you on that one, sniperfx. It's my favorite meat.

Funny, because I don't care for grilled ribeye at all.

It's very far from overrated and by far my most favorite protein to cook. I practiced not just to when I got it right but to the point I never get them wrong. Do work son.

I enjoy cooking brisket because it is hard. A good friend who cooks a lot of pork butt, ribs etc won’t even attempt a brisket.

Back