THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is my go to for big steaks and tri tip

Don't I know that Tom. Killer tri-tip at the SoCal Bash! :thumb: Sorry for bad pic but TT was Excellent!

evmfPtT.jpg

Tried the Carne Crosta for the first time tonight on some prime ribeyes from CostCo. Definitely could smell the coffee, but not taste it. Great flavour, excellent crust — I was grillin after dark so a little worried about the darkness of the sear, but it was excellent. Can’t wait to play around with it some more.

Also tried some Ja Love on chicken for my daughter — good flavour but surprisingly spicy. Maybe I applied too much, but my daughter just couldnt eat her entire chicken breast, it was too hot for her. So next time I’ll apply more sparingly.

Makes me wonder about the Habenero Death Dust I bought but haven’t yet tried . . . .

IMHO, JAH Love Jerk is not quite as hot as HDD. That said, Jah Love is pretty freakin' hot... If you didn't try it as a paste marinade, give it a try like that next time. Just follow the instructions on the bag. The paste really makes the Jerk flavors pop.

Has anyone tried steaks that are cooked sous vide and then seared with the Carne Crosta rub? I like the idea of the sous vide tenderness along with the high-heat sear with the Carne Crosta rub.

It has been done. But, IMHO the results were less than optimum. Carne Crosta is a rather technical rub and it requires a HIGH heat sear to do its magic. When a steak is sous vide'ed first, it's already at the desired final internal temp BEFORE any sear is applied. So, when the sear is done it is usually very light because if it were any heavier, it would raise the IT of the steak too much and overshoot the desired done-ness. This quick, light sear at the end of a sous vide isn't hot or long enough to make CC do what it was made to do. Make sense?

It has been done. But, IMHO the results were less than optimum. Carne Crosta is a rather technical rub and it requires a HIGH heat sear to do its magic. When a steak is sous vide'ed first, it's already at the desired final internal temp BEFORE any sear is applied. So, when the sear is done it is usually very light because if it were any heavier, it would raise the IT of the steak too much and overshoot the desired done-ness. This quick, light sear at the end of a sous vide isn't hot or long enough to make CC do what it was made to do. Make sense?

You, sir, are the Mr. Trump that EVERYONE on this site can support and get behind regardless of politics!

It does. The high heat plus the olive oil sets the flavors off!

Try one in a high heat CI pan. It farking rocks!
You will have to open a window or have a great hood/exhaust system, though.

Sorry to bring up an older thread but has anyone tried this rub on a brisket or low and slow cook?
I've got some R butts R smokin beef rub, pit happens Texas pit bbq rub and the oakridge, the first two are quite salty to taste, I can appreciate large cuts of beef can handle a higher salt content, I've used the oakridge on steaks to good effect but curious if the rub will lose a little without the high heat?

I will be honest, The first Oakridge Rub i ever bought was Black Ops, and i absolutely HATED it. For a long time i avoided all their other Rubs. But after seeing soo many great crusted steaks on this forum using CC, i had to try it and, and i LOVE it. I use it on everything Beef. Steaks, burgers, short ribs, brisket, Tri-Tip, Hanger steak, you name it.

Back