THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Why all the hype about Oakridge Carne Crosta Rub? Because it's well deserved.

Tried it for the first time today on some Angus strip steaks and it was definitely the best tasting steak I've ever made.

Used the Weber kettle and started two small chimneys (don't have a large one any longer since the small one is perfect for the PBC) of KBB. Threw the hot coals on a bed of about 25 unlit ones on one side of the grill and let the fire go until it got raging hot. Put the four strips over the coals and cooked for about 2 minutes per side then moved them to the cool side of the grill to get them up to about 125. I thought about doing the reverse sear but I saw that Sako likes to start them hot to release the oils in the rub. Who am I to question The Man?

The family really enjoyed them and we all loved the taste of the rub. This is one rub that is not overly salty so if you really like salt you could even add a bit before you apply the rub.

Last edited:
I thought it was going to be another witty thread Bob. :laugh:

Forgot to mention that it can take some extra salt. :thumb: I only used S&P on beef mostly until I tried Carne Crosta. Did a side by side and on occasion with other folks and asked for their opinion. Unanimous on Carne Crosta each time. It's one of the rubs that's always in the pantry.

I too prefer the sear first technique,with any steak.I usually use salt only,sear,rest,season,then roast to desired internal temp.I can see using the coffee based CC to get a good crust though.I got some in the pantry,may give it a go.

Last edited:
I thought it was going to be another witty thread Bob. :laugh:

Forgot to mention that it can take some extra salt. :thumb: I only used S&P on beef mostly until I tried Carne Crosta. Did a side by side and on occasion with other folks and asked for their opinion. Unanimous on Carne Crosta each time. It's one of the rubs that's always in the pantry.

I wish there were more rubs that lacked salt. I'd rather keep the two things separate.

What is the flavor that Carne Crosta adds?

I bought a pound Oakridge CC as my trial size. Wings-Rib Eye And Today sirloin burgers. Have to say it’s one of my favorites. I did notice my wife hitting hers with the salt shaker. I enjoyed it the way it is. One of my favorite things about our hobby is the rub selection. I was really surprised how great this tastes.

I agree. Good Stuff.

I bought a pound Oakridge CC as my trial size. Wings-Rib Eye And Today sirloin burgers. Have to say it’s one of my favorites. I did notice my wife hitting hers with the salt shaker. I enjoyed it the way it is. One of my favorite things about our hobby is the rub selection. I was really surprised how great this tastes.

I agree. Good Stuff.

Yessir. I Just did burgers with it on Friday. I wasn't sure how well she would like, so I cooked some with the CC, and some without. We both preferred the CC burgers to the point where we argued about who would get those, and just gave the 'other food' to the dogs.

I wish there were more rubs that lacked salt. I'd rather keep the two things separate.

What is the flavor that Carne Crosta adds?

That's a great question. I would say it has a complex and somewhat peppery kick to it without being overly spicy. I asked my wife to describe it a she says it's very flavorful with the taste of being cooked over a wood fire if that helps.

That's a great question. I would say it has a complex and somewhat peppery kick to it without being overly spicy. I asked my wife to describe it a she says it's very flavorful with the taste of being cooked over a wood fire if that helps.

Helps enough that when I return from vacation I'll have to try some for myself.:thumb:

I suppose so long as I avoid SOMA/Market street/TL with the stench of marijuana and human excrement its nice.

Not to mention the outrageous rent/property prices! My son lives in the Marina District about a minute walk from the Bay. That is my main visual of SF along with northern California in general. :grin:

Plus the heat in the Houston area this time of year makes me yearn for the cooler Bay Area temperatures.

Anyway, do not want to deviate from the original thread any further. Carne Crosta is fantastic.

Back