THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I’ve got a pound sitting in the closet. Ordered some Tri Tips from Creekstone that I’ll try it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never used Oakridge rubs before but I’ve read about them on this site. Everyone seems to be a big fan, and especially I’ve read about the quality of the ingredients.

My 16-year-old son is returning tomorrow from a 2-week Outward Bound leadership program, ocean kayaking up the outer banks of NC. He loves steak, and of course won’t have gotten much meat for the past 2 weeks. So I’ll be grilling some steak tomorrow, and decided to up the ante by ordering some Carne Crosta based on what I’ve read here. I figured I might as well go whole hog, so I also ordered Black Ops Brisket Rub, Jah Love Jerk, and Habanero Death Dust. Can’t wait to try them!

Ingredients: Locally roasted Brazilian coffee, fine flake sea salt, garlic, chilies ( incl. ancho, guajillo, chipotle & paprika), black pepper, onion, extra fine raw cane sugar, yellow mustard, ground mushrooms (Shiitake & porcini), coriander, lime juice, celery, other spices, & maltodextrin (from corn).
Can you taste the coffee in it?​

[/I]Can you taste the coffee in it?​
I was worried about that too, but as other members have said, there's no coffee flavor imparted to the food. that's strange because you can definitely smell the coffee ( I love a good pun) when you open the pouch.

The flavor was excellent. And, no coffee flavor

Tried the Carne Crosta for the first time tonight on some prime ribeyes from CostCo. Definitely could smell the coffee, but not taste it. Great flavour, excellent crust — I was grillin after dark so a little worried about the darkness of the sear, but it was excellent. Can’t wait to play around with it some more.

Also tried some Ja Love on chicken for my daughter — good flavour but surprisingly spicy. Maybe I applied too much, but my daughter just couldnt eat her entire chicken breast, it was too hot for her. So next time I’ll apply more sparingly.

Makes me wonder about the Habenero Death Dust I bought but haven’t yet tried . . . .

Why all the hype about Oakridge Carne Crosta Rub? Because it's well deserved.

Tried it for the first time today on some Angus strip steaks and it was definitely the best tasting steak I've ever made.

Used the Weber kettle and started two small chimneys (don't have a large one any longer since the small one is perfect for the PBC) of KBB. Threw the hot coals on a bed of about 25 unlit ones on one side of the grill and let the fire go until it got raging hot. Put the four strips over the coals and cooked for about 2 minutes per side then moved them to the cool side of the grill to get them up to about 125. I thought about doing the reverse sear but I saw that Sako likes to start them hot to release the oils in the rub. Who am I to question The Man?

The family really enjoyed them and we all loved the taste of the rub. This is one rub that is not overly salty so if you really like salt you could even add a bit before you apply the rub.

So you need a Taste helper with your cooking Huh?:thumb:
:heh::heh::heh:

Has anyone tried steaks that are cooked sous vide and then seared with the Carne Crosta rub? I like the idea of the sous vide tenderness along with the high-heat sear with the Carne Crosta rub.

I don't see why that wouldn't work, though the instructions on the CC bag say to let the rub sit on the meat a while before cooking. I'm sure it'd still be good even if ya didn't though.

Has anyone tried steaks that are cooked sous vide and then seared with the Carne Crosta rub? I like the idea of the sous vide tenderness along with the high-heat sear with the Carne Crosta rub.

I've got some coming with the plan to do smash burgers and SV steak.

Given that really the only thing that penetrates meat is salt and this rub seems to be lacking in that area, you could do salt it overnight, process SV, then add the rub before searing and it'll probably be great. That's exactly what I will do.

I don't see why that wouldn't work, though the instructions on the CC bag say to let the rub sit on the meat a while before cooking. I'm sure it'd still be good even if ya didn't though.

The first time I used it I didn't bother with instructions. I applied the rub, let it sit for an hour and then put it on the smoker for a bit before searing it to finish. It was awesome.

20180801_154429.jpg

20180801_155220.jpg

Back