THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1978.....that'll clean up fine...............unless further anthropology finds a letter code.............

That grate & flip rack is a pretty rare beast.....this whole deal is a memory maker, eh?

"Was kinda surprised to find it put together and not in the tarp."

Perhaps it put itself together in anticipation of your visit......they do that sometimes.....:roll::shock:

1978.....that'll clean up fine...............unless further anthropology finds a letter code.............

That grate & flip rack is a pretty rare beast.....this whole deal is a memory maker, eh?

"Was kinda surprised to find it put together and not in the tarp."

Perhaps it put itself together in anticipation of your visit......they do that sometimes.....:roll::shock:
Hit the vent with some oven cleaner

https://flic.kr/p/rZAkut

'H' 1986 makes sense. Year I got married and bought my first home. Had been using other kettles long before that. Parents had one with metal handles (late 60s, early 70s vintage) when I was a kid. A roommate had one. Sorting through the cobwebs in my head I recall buying it at Service Merchandise.

Have 3 Weber cast iron griddles. Bought 2 with the wire rack...2nd of which just rediscovered yesterday :-D. Bought the other griddle, without the rack, as house warming gift for a friend and his wife knowing it would fit their Weber gasser. Was kind of surprised when he gave it back to me a couple years later explaining that he used it a couple times, didn't care for it, and knew how much I liked them. Was not offended because I tried cast iron grates and griddles in my own Weber Genesis and was not thrilled. For some reason (HOT! ;) they just work better in the kettle.

The griddles themselves have a couple variations. The first two I bought are flat one side and have continuous ribbing on the other side. The third came with interrupted, alternating ribbing allowing fat/juices to intermingle between channels. My preference for grill marks is the continuous version.

Have 3 cast iron griddles, 2 cast iron grates, and 2 wire racks. All 3 griddles need attention. Two have some rust and the third is crud-caked beyond hot water and a wire brush. One of the open grates is sorta rusty. Oddly, the new-found grate is in the best condition of all my outside iron. Thinking about taking all the other stuff for sand/bead blasting and doing a lard re-season.

Yep. No idea how it put itself together. Might have to light it up one of these days and ask wtf it did with the tarp :icon_smile_tongue:

I've got a Weber Performer that a friend was going to throw away, so I took it off his hands and cleaned it up. It goes great with my 22.5" WSM.

I missed a free old school performer (stainless top) last week. Still trying to find a rotisserie for my performer.
Looked for a kit on craigslist a few times over the last couple years finding nothing. Gave in and bought a new kit last month

I Have a Performer 22.5 and use it with a Vortex for burgers and wings and steaks. I wouldn't be without it. I also cold smoke cheese in it.

It a stainless steel cone shaped affair that concentrates the heat real well.......

9F1C4C72-A248-4355-B8FE-A340B7D3143B_zpszb10i0mk.jpg

Don't have the info handy, but Gargle THUNDERDOME / Vortex & he can sell you one.....

Lot of people really using them to good advantage in different ways....

It a stainless steel cone shaped affair that concentrates the heat real well.......

9F1C4C72-A248-4355-B8FE-A340B7D3143B_zpszb10i0mk.jpg

Don't have the info handy, but Gargle THUNDERDOME / Vortex & he can sell you one.....

Lot of people really using them to good advantage in different ways....
Not that I've tried it but seems you could get a similar effect from cutting the plastic handle and top off a chimney, for less than half the price.

edit to add: or cut the bottom off a paint can

Not that I've tried it but seems you could get a similar effect from cutting the plastic handle and top off a chimney, for less than half the price.

edit to add: or cut the bottom off a paint can

That's what I thought too, but it seems to do quite a bit better from the cone shape instead of just a cylinder......just from things I've heard from people who have rigged similar things & then got one.....don't have one as of yet.....

I think some folks fix their own......

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, just see them used all the time with good to excellent results....:-D

That's what I thought too, but it seems to do quite a bit better from the cone shape instead of just a cylinder......just from things I've heard from people who have rigged similar things & then got one.....don't have one as of yet.....

I think some folks fix their own......

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, just see them used all the time with good to excellent results....:-D
Have cooked on top of the chimney before...hotter than hell. Can't see a slight angle on the sidewall being hotter enough to make a difference, much less worth $40 :noidea:

Have cooked on top of the chimney before...hotter than hell. Can't see a slight angle on the sidewall being hotter enough to make a difference, much less worth $40 :noidea:
First, I agree, chimney is freakin' hot but the Vortex is more than a slight angle, slight is like 2 degrees. Anytime you have a wider base than the top opening you will generate more heat. At some point the width of the base getting wider will reach the point of diminishing returns, but that is another topic. Fill the chimney and the Vortex, monitor the temps, my bet is on the Vortex being quite a bit hotter. But honestly, I think you could put the chimney in the center of the kettle and cook wings or other things indirect and be pretty close. But, I can flip my Vortex over, put charcoal around the outside, drop a chicken down inside it to cook with infrared heat from the Vortex. Have you tried shoving a chicken into your chimney yet? Also, same thought with a snake method for smoking large cuts over the center of the Vortex with a drip pan down in the center. Point is, it's a good tool, very versatile, worth the cost to those of us who use them. I use mine several times a week and love it, money well spent for me. No one is asking anyone to buy one, purely consumer choice.

I Have a Performer 22.5 and use it with a Vortex for burgers and wings and steaks. I wouldn't be without it. I also cold smoke cheese in it.

a few questions about the vortex.
-How many wings can you grill at once?
-Do they really come out crispy like the advertisement says?
- how many burgers can you grill at once?
Thanks for your time

I've seen people do around 30 small wings.....whatever you can fit all around the outer edge....and yes, they reported crispy & cooked very evenly.....

Also, what Frog says.....no one has to be convinced, just that the people that do get them seem really happy with how they work......

I really love the thing, it's simple and does what it's supposed to do. You can use it like in the picture above by dumping the coals into it with the small end up, or inverting it with coals around the outside of it for longer indirect cooks. Wings are crispy and reverse seared burgers with this setup are phenomenal. A chimney starter without the handle might be too tall to fit under the grill. They are inexpensive and work well.

a few questions about the vortex.
-How many wings can you grill at once?
-Do they really come out crispy like the advertisement says?
- how many burgers can you grill at once?
Thanks for your time
Here's a couple pics, they don't answer your questions directly but give you an idea of space on the 22.5" Weber kettle. I've done at least 30 wings, just don't have a pic. YES! They do come out crispy, see the pic. Works great for all chicken pieces, thighs are amazing! Haven't done burgers yet .....

WINGS
IMG_0653.jpg

CRISPY
IMG_0656.jpg

THIGHS
IMG_0644.jpg

STUFFED BREASTS
IMG_0659.jpg

You farkers got me, bought a OG Silver yesterday after work. Got home, put it together and got to cooking.

20150503_081420_zpsstg3xfue.jpg

20150503_081441_zps1dxbghww.jpg

Going to do some chicken legs and thighs tonight, indirect and maybe try Big Bob Gibsons white sauce.

Back