Which Pellet Grill?

You are gonna love pellet cooking, especially with a houseful of kids. I sure do!!! If in your shoes, and looking in the >$1k category, I am pretty sure I’d go with the Grilla Grills Silverbac. Looks to have tremendous bang for your buck, and is built quite well. They also have a VERY active and friendly Facebook group for Grilla owners.

Would there be anymore feedback on the Pit Boss 820? They are on sale this weekend at Orshelins for 349.99. I've looked at them and they seem ok, but I've done a lot of research and I know they aren't as good as some of the others. I really like the Grilla. I'm wondering if I should spring for one or save up money for a better quality one. It will be in my shed all the time.

Would there be anymore feedback on the Pit Boss 820? They are on sale this weekend at Orshelins for 349.99. I've looked at them and they seem ok, but I've done a lot of research and I know they aren't as good as some of the others. I really like the Grilla. I'm wondering if I should spring for one or save up money for a better quality one. It will be in my shed all the time.
Buy once cry once, if you can afford the Grills get it.

I bought a Mak 1-star and I love it. IMHO it's got the best controller in the business, which for a high-tech, programmable device is a good thing. It also has given a great smoke and flavour profile on all my cooks so far. $1700 delivered to the house (at least last Nov).

I also have a MAK 1 Star & I recommend it for the same reasons.

I received an e-mail from Big Poppa Smokers, hinting that the Mak's would be on sale this weekend. Not something you see very often. Obviously not going to be in the Pit Boss price range, but if you are considering a Mak, you should look into it.

You are gonna love pellet cooking, especially with a houseful of kids. I sure do!!! If in your shoes, and looking in the >$1k category, I am pretty sure I’d go with the Grilla Grills Silverbac. Looks to have tremendous bang for your buck, and is built quite well. They also have a VERY active and friendly Facebook group for Grilla owners.

Yep, they have their old model Silberback for $699.

I received an e-mail from Big Poppa Smokers, hinting that the Mak's would be on sale this weekend. Not something you see very often. Obviously not going to be in the Pit Boss price range, but if you are considering a Mak, you should look into it.
I hope they do, I've already decided on a 1 Star with the Flame Zone, already have the funds set aside for it, I was just waiting till after a trip I have in July before pulling the trigger.

I’ve never used a pellet grill, but if I was to buy one on a budget of less than a grand, RecTec would be it. If money wasn’t a concern, then a MAK 2 Star General or a Memphis Grill.

One point I would make, which I learned on this site from others when I was considering which pellet smoker to buy, is to really give some thought to how you plan to use it and for what? Because some are better at smoking, some better at grilling, but I'm wary of all-in-one claims because I find they compromise everything and do nothing really well.

In my case, I wanted a set-and-forget automatic smoker so I could get away from the all-nighters I've pulled with my stickburners for 30+ years. I'm perfectly happy to grill on my Weber. So I focused on which pellet smoker would smoke the best and I didn't worry about grilling capability. I concluded the Mak 1-star fit the bill for me but I also, for example, saved some $ by not buying the Mak flame zone option, which is for grilling.

Folks who want pellets for grilling might conclude the Mak is great at grilling, but might instead prefer the FEC or Memphis.

So I suggest some thought about why you want it and for what, as the answers may take you down different paths.

Pulled the trigger on a GMG Davy Crockett! I really only ever smoke meat for myself, so the smaller size isn't an issue, and I really like the portability of it. Just did a quick meatloaf this afternoon before the supposed storms roll in.

Back