THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Haven’t posted ij quite a while. I’ve had a variety of smoker and am currently using the MB 1050 gravity fed charcoal smoker. After four years it’s starting to rust out so I’ve been thinking about what to go with next. I was thinking of the Weber Searwood, but I also have a gasser so I really don’t need one that will sear. Years ago I had a pit barrel cooker and I really enjoyed the results. Thus, I’m thinking about going back to a barrel.

This brings me to my choices. I would want the larger 22.5in PBC, buts its $499. At that price I wonder if it makes sense to step up to a Hunsaker or Gateway. I’m simply a backyard cook and enjoy providing great meals for friends and family. I would like it to be easy to move and, if possible, perhaps add a charcoal grate so it can work like a kettle as well if I want to sear with charcoal. I may also consider adding my Fireboard controller and a fan since I have the controller from when the MB controller crapped out. I do find myself leaning towards the Hunsaker.

Anyhow, would love your opinions and insights! Thanks!

Last edited:
Your personal info says you joined in 2014. Back then it was almost a running gag when questions like this came up: "Build a UDS" was always a suggestion. It's still a good idea- IMO. I'd love to have a Hunsaker or Gateway- but the cheapskate in me won't allow it. I have a 30-gallon UDS that is my favorite smoker. If I could swing it, the only difference I would make would be to have it in Stainless steel- but open top 30's are very dear if new- and almost impossible to score when used. Good luck on whatever you do.

Big Poppa Smokers use to sell a kit to make a UDS. It had everything you needed but the drum and lid. I guy I know did this and it was really nice. You could also see whats available in your area on the internet

I've got a Cotton Gin Harverster model and it's top notch all around. I love the front opening door for access to the charcoal, so I can add charcoal or wood during the cook without having to remove any grates.

I think they're doing a Memorial Day sale right now. I got mine for right at $1200 for a Thanksgiving sale 2 years ago I think, and it's well worth it. It holds temps perfectly once you get the vents adjusted, and I'm sure adding a Fireboard would be very simple. It is definitely worth a look.

$1200 dolares? I built one just like it for $65, and I bet it cooks just the same.
Ed

Couldn't this same response be used for anyone who buys any kind of smoker? Regardless, the convenience of the front door on the Harvester model is worth the price to me. It functions well, and gives me ease of access you don't usually see with a UDS.

Back