THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

El Scorcho

Got Wood.
The weather is finally starting to warm up, so I might get a chance to get my new Chargriller Outlaw ready. It's new, but it was already set up and sat for a while so it has some paint chips and a bit of rust in the ash pan that I need to tend to. To apply the high heat paint and treat the wood shelves, I need temps to be above 50, and I think the warmer weather will be here soon. Once I get that done I can season it and start smoking!

As a rookie to low and slow, what do I cook first?

Ribs, Pork Butt, shoulder, Tri-Tip, etc..., or do I just jump right up and go for the Brisket, lol?

Do da butt. It's a much more forgiving cut to work with when you're learning the ins-and-outs of both your rig and the process in general.

I would say Butt/Shoulder for your first smoke. Or is you want to go cheap and fast go for a chicken spatchcock it and put on a rub. Enjoy

I also say do the butt and add some fatties in, go with the easy stuff and get some seasoning in there.

+1 on pork butt & fatties. maybe throw on some thighs or drumsticks - spread 'em around & see where the hot/cool spots are.

Ribs are always nice, but then so are wings, pastrami, fatties, ABTs..............
Dang, have done it again.... gone and made myself hungry :hungry:

Remember to post pics :thumb:

Back