THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GQue

Full Fledged Farker
Congrats on that new smoker or grill. If your new to smoking or grilling I recommend doing the ol biscuit test on it first before you cook any meat. If you never heard of the biscuit test or why its important take a look at the video below. Thanks for watching and Happy Eatin'
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3ZEjXhvTs"]The First Cook on any new Smoker or Grill should be Biscuits - Watch to see Why - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I thought it was understood around here that it was a naked fatty. Where you at Ron_L?

You've been around here for nearly 7 years and you don't know that the naked fatty is the holy grail of meat to cook on a new smoker? WOW is the only word that comes to mind.

You've been around here for nearly 7 years and you don't know that the naked fatty is the holy grail of meat to cook on a new smoker? WOW is the only word that comes to mind.

Whoops - I'll have my plate of crow now...I do know better I'll go back into my corner and finish whats left of the crow. Truth be told its titled for a common google search...Should have noted in text what the real first cook is around here.

Not an Old Hickory owner by the question I'm about to ask.....I thought all OH pits racks revolved. If they do.....how can you say that the 'top' rack...... if they all at some point will be the 'top' rack? I'm cornfused.:roll:

Not an Old Hickory owner by the question I'm about to ask.....I thought all OH pits racks revolved. If they do.....how can you say that the 'top' rack...... if they all at some point will be the 'top' rack? I'm cornfused.:roll:

Do believe they make 2-3 non-rotisserie pits.

Meh, take the plain sausage roll and you can have it :becky:. Never done one ever in a smoker (done a few stuffed versions that were good). Not sure the novelty other than people like saying the pot reference I guess :p.

No right or wrong way to do a first cook. I like the biscuit test when done with lots of meat instead of biscuits :-D. But that test is actually quite handy.

No, not all are technically top racks. This el model shows why. So there are sections of 2-3 racks (this one has the middle rack out on the one he touches to allow for big meats on both racks) and the lower rack while rotating to the top of the pit never get as high as the top rack in that section.

The southern pride I used to run was a similar setup. The rotating still makes for even cooking even if the racks are at different "levels" in the section.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTRyoSehhaE[/ame]

Back