THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoked turkey gumbo, made with stock from the smoked turkey bones. Usually make it the Saturday after Turkey Day but I am off a week this year, making it today.

Smoked turkey gumbo, made with stock from the smoked turkey bones. Usually make it the Saturday after Turkey Day but I am off a week this year, making it today.

I just did this Thursday. Took the frozen carcass and slow cooked for 8 hours. Then I strained, and picked the meat from the bones -- got almost 2 pounds. I put the broth and turkey meat in the frig overnight, then yesterday made my usual gumbo recipe, and the broth was so concentrated it was amazing.

Turkey Gumbo

Ingredients

· 4 stalks celery, chopped
· 3 small sweet onions, chopped
· 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
· ¾ cup vegetable oil
· 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
· 1 lb. ounces andouille sausage, sliced into thin rounds
· 10 cups turkey stock
· 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
· ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
· ¼ cup hot sauce, preferably Frank’s
· ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
· 2 teaspoons kosher salt, as needed
· 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, as needed
· 2 lbs. chopped smoked turkey meat, skin removed
· 2 pounds sliced okra

Preparation

In a food processor, chop celery, onions, and bell peppers. Press the garlic.

Add oil to a heavy medium saucepan or Dutch oven, add the flour, and place over moderate heat. Cook the mixture, stirring slowly and constantly, until the roux is brown. Add the puréed vegetables, and stir to combine. Add the stock and cook on low heat while assembling the spices.

Brown the andouille sausage in a skillet, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides. Then add to the pot along with the thyme, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper.

Bring the gumbo to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce the heat to low. Add the turkey meat and okra, and simmer for about one hour. This can be prepared ahead and kept, covered in the refrigerator, up to 3 days, or frozen.

Making turkey noodle soup today. Made stock from the carcass, only problem was we've run out of turkey to put in it, so I smoked some chicken thighs yesterday to add meat to the soup.

Back