THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

mvzoom

Hi All,

First post, been lurking for a while. A bit about me - 35 years old, live in Sydney Australia and really like cooking / making stuff. I have been all grain homebrewing for seven years, have three kids and work in I.T.

Six weeks ago I built a UDS with the help of the UDS Mega Thread and have cooked with every weekend since. I'm a little hooked on this stuff, BBQ is addictive!

There's change in the wind coming to my BBQ gear, looking for some advice. I recently got a new (to me) stainless 4 burner grill to take over from my Weber Genesis Silver C. I am also saving for a Komado style grill - they look really fun too. The C is a great BBQ, however mine is 11 years old and the internals are shot. Not a big deal in the U.S as you can get parts easily - for me to replace the flavourizer bars, grills and other bits will be well in excess of US$400.

The Silver C cost me around US$1300 and I can't really bring myself to throw it away. What are my options here - I saw someone turned theirs into a smoker?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers - Mike

You can strip out the parts and use it to store stuff in. Like your chimeny starter, grill brushes, spiders, gloves, spare lighters etc...

Make a utility cart out of it!

Here is an old Weber 1000 frame I added a stainless steel top to.

100_1564.jpg

Makes a great stand for the Q120 & Q200

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

I also took an old Weber 3000 frame (similar to the Genesis C) and plumbed a T fitting off the propane tank/side burner and installed a cast iron burner on it.

100_3014.jpg

100_3013.jpg

Re-purpose it! The side burner will come in handy and we can all use more work space!

Yeah, excellent - thanks for the suggestions. My UDS sure doesn't have any storage so this is a really good idea.

Anyone used theirs to convert into another cooking based application?

Cheers - Mike

BBQ Brainwave... use the chassis of the Silver C as a cart, storage, side tables and burner for the UDS....

Measuring tape beckons...

Back