THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I dont think a pitmaster needs to be a competitive chef, a professional chef or depend on his BBQ for income. I think a pitmaster is one that can produce consistent quality BBQ, ON ANY BBQ PIT, with confidence, passion and dedication to the craft.

Can you cook on ANY TYPE of pit and have it turn out consistently good product, even the first time out?

Do you have the confidence and knowledge to conquer challenges, seen or unseen and produce quality BBQ. (Think Kitchen Impossible)? Would you survive?

Do you have the heart(or desire) to put your BBQ against the best and walk away proud of your product regardless of outcome?

Do you look at a fallen tree as your next fuel source?

if you answered yes to the above........ You are a pitmaster. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:mrgreen:

I think that many of the posts above have given very good examples of the values, knowledge, experience and sense-of-it-all that are part of being a pit master. I've met many a fella who bestowed that title upon himself and who didn't really have all that it encompasses. I do know I am not - and need a lot more time learning and practicing before I would even consider myself a candidate.

I dont think a pitmaster needs to be a competitive chef, a professional chef or depend on his BBQ for income. I think a pitmaster is one that can produce consistent quality BBQ, ON ANY BBQ PIT, with confidence, passion and dedication to the craft.

Can you cook on ANY TYPE of pit and have it turn out consistently good product, even the first time out?

Do you have the confidence and knowledge to conquer challenges, seen or unseen and produce quality BBQ. (Think Kitchen Impossible)? Would you survive?

Do you have the heart(or desire) to put your BBQ against the best and walk away proud of your product regardless of outcome?

if you answered yes to the above........ You are a pitmaster. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:mrgreen:

I think that sums it up.

PitMaster? I guess if you are the only person working the Pit and you get good BBQ from it, you would be a PitMaster.
Just because someone does a competition, does not mean they know any more or less than someone that does not compete.
In order to compete, all you have to do is pay the $$$ and go. Doesn't mean you know what you are doing. Anybody can win a competition with basic BBQ skills.
Learn how to use your pit, and you are a PitMast. But then again, I don't know Jack Didley about it anyway.
grills&smokers.JPG

Being a Pitmaster is like being an all-state or all-American ball player. You know your skills, you have honed your skills, and no matter the challenge, you show up and display your skills no matter what. You ignor ignorance, and stay confident. I believe that those who constantly have to praise themselves do not get enough praise from other sources. Go in with confidence and do your thing. If you can do that everytime, you are the Pit Master. Unfortionatly for me, I have not mastered those skills for the pit. I am a backyard warrior who loves the fight.

that definition works for me.

The important thing is, you should never be both a pitmaster and a master of your domain at the same time.

I think that you are a pitmaster of your own pits. maybe not if you go and cook on someone else's pits but if you cook and churn out good Q then a pitmaster you may be. At least others that eat your good Q will think so.

Tuck

Once you have mastered your pit and can cook any damn thing you can think of on it successfully you are on your way. After you have built your own pit you are a Pit Master. Its a Jedi/lightsaber thing.

I think you are a barbecue pitmaster if you call yourself one, or have been called one by somebody else. Beyond that, it's just opinion. I have eaten some "pitmaster" cue I thought was excellent, and some I would not want to eat again.

Probably the closest true definition I saw in this thread is the one about a pitmaster being the person in charge of the workings of the pit and what is going on and off it, and when. The title has nothing to do with quality or experience.

The term is also used in game fowl (fighting cocks) to denote the one who oversees the fighting pit.

According to Big Bob Gibson:

"The greatness of a pitmaster is directly proportional to the size of his ash pile."

So, I must ask, how big is yours?

I consider myself to be a weekend warrior that turns out some pretty good Q, IMO. However, some have told me that my chicken is some of the best they've had. I'm always looking for ways to improve my Q, like for instance, I'm making some plans on how to turn my Chargriller into a reverse flow offset. Not only that I'm currently coming up with my plans for my first UDS and reading the very LONGGG UDS thread. I'll probably never consider myself as a pit master because IMO there's always room for improvement.

Back