THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings Again Brethren and Sistren,

I would like to brine a turkey for Christmas, and I need a bucket in which to do so. What makes a bucket "food grade." Why can't I use the $2 homer bucket from Home Depot?

Follow up, anyone know a good place to look for one on short notice?

Cheers,
CP

Go to a grocery store and get a box of these then any bucket is safe just use it as a liner for any bucket.

Ziploc_big_bags_xxl.jpg

Makes cleanup a breeze also.

A food grade bucket is made from plastics that will not leach or degrade into food. They primarily focus on heat and cold tolerance for long term storage. Most will also have a smooth interior and a tight fitting top, these are designed to aid in meeting food safety requirements.

There is no need for a food grade bucket, but, they are nice. I use plastic bags or a round Igloo cooler, which adds the plus of being a little more temperature stable for a long brine.

Hit up a local restaurant and ask if they have any empty mayo buckets, they are square, (makes them easier to fit into a cooler or the fridge) hold around 4 gallons and obviously are food grade - best of all, most likely FREE! :thumb:

Greetings Again Brethren and Sistren,

I would like to brine a turkey for Christmas, and I need a bucket in which to do so. What makes a bucket "food grade." Why can't I use the $2 homer bucket from Home Depot?

Follow up, anyone know a good place to look for one on short notice?

Cheers,
CP
There are slight differences in the chemical composition of the plastics. Food grade doesn't absorb or leach anything where lesser grades can. Look for NSF, FDA, or USDA approved buckets. I got mine at Smart & Final. You can also ask at a local restaurant if they have any they could part with.

stop at mickey d's or other fast food joint and ask if they have any empty pickle buckets.

Check out a local BBQ joint and ask them. Mine buy 5 gallons of bbq sauce so they always have them ;) Oh and I dont eat there, I make my own sauce and Q

Thanks All. I will look for some of the brine bags and perhaps hit up a few restaurants to see if they have any buckets to spare. I have a 5 gallon round cooler that may also work.

Ask any place that sells ready to eat food. Many condiments come in 4-5 gallon size plastic containers, I get mine at the local pork store as they get sausage casings in a nice rectangle shape pail with a snap lid. They are very happy to give them away rather than have them go to a recycler. They have also given me some 55 gallon plastic drums with screw on tops that make great rain barrels for the garden.

I use a "Kitty Litter" square bucket with a Zip Lock or Hefty bag.
Probably 205 gal or so.
The smaller size with the bag means that I use a lot less brine for a small to medium size turkey and since it is in the bag with the air squeezed our, I have no need to weigh it down.
Poor man's brineing bucket! 8)

Works wonderful.

TIM

I just used a homer bucket for Thanksgiving. It worked fine. About the leaching of chemicals - I'll let you know in a few years I guess.

Back