What is the best stainless steel grate for a Weber 22” kettle?

Other than the cosmetics of pretty grill marks, what do these grates do for the steak ?

I have been to the World Championship Steak Cook-Off in Magnolia AR several times. For the past few years I noticed most competitors were using either Weber Kettles with Grill-Grates or PK Grills with Grill-Grates. I figured there must be something to them so I purchased a set for my Weber. I can honestly say they do work well, took my steaks to a new level. I now have a PK grill with them for when I cook more than two steaks. I also have them for my Akorn Jr for the times I only cook one steak. Still use the Weber when doing two steaks.

I have been to the World Championship Steak Cook-Off in Magnolia AR several times. For the past few years I noticed most competitors were using either Weber Kettles with Grill-Grates or PK Grills with Grill-Grates. I figured there must be something to them so I purchased a set for my Weber. I can honestly say they do work well, took my steaks to a new level. .

Yes, I'm aware the comp guys use them, but they get graded on appearance.

" a new level " , are you talking about flavor ? If so, how is this happening ?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm open minded to anything that makes a better steak. But the price tag on these things is not small and I need some idea of " how " they work.

I think the link Thirdeye provided above explains the science. All I know is I can buy a POS gasser, throw these on them, and make a pretty good steak. Flip them over for smash burgers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm aware the comp guys use them, but they get graded on appearance.

" a new level " , are you talking about flavor ? If so, how is this happening ?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm open minded to anything that makes a better steak. But the price tag on these things is not small and I need some idea of " how " they work.

Yes the flavor is much improved, I do not know why or how but I know they work. As for me I could care less about the grill marks, just the flavor.

They shipped the grate via UPS within an hour or two of me ordering it and it arrived about 48 hours after ordering it. It was well packed and looks like it should last a lifetime.

34229-C4-C-F6-A2-4-C7-B-A482-E580052-CA164.jpg

The biggest advantage to the Grill Grates IMO is the coverage over the heat source. Reduces flare up burns or meat burning. Fat drips on the fire through the holes, yes, you get flare ups but it is suppressed by the grate pate coverage.

I used the new grate for the first time today and like it so far. I also found the one drawback as soon as I got to the grill. If you use the grate hook slot on the back of your performer the grill handle on the new grate won’t fit. I always put my grate there when not using it since it is Convenient and the grate don’t transfer grill gunk on anything. I may modify the slot.

606396-EC-3-F80-4-C84-B0-CF-98-CA499-C371-B.jpg

F3833251-D68-A-48-BC-82-C2-DB7-D75-D0-D308.jpg

Back