What is the best stainless steel grate for a Weber 22” kettle?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I’ve been doing a lot of high temperature searing of steaks during the last few months and the Weber grate I bought a few months ago had the coating flake off and it is rusting badly.

I’d like to get a high quality stainless steel grate. If it has fold up sections like the one on my performer it would be even better.

I started looking and found bad reviews on everything I found so far.

Thanks!

If you do steaks, you want this!

Weber_Kettle_22_Alt_3__97396.1603987865.1280.1280-500x500.jpg

I have the killa grilla grate for the SnS. Only bad part is it doesn’t have a stop when opening the grate. Other than that very minor issue, it’s a nice grate and it’ll last through several kettles.

I have the SnS stainless easy spin grate and I love it. I'll never buy another stock Weber grate again.

The nickel coating on the stock Weber grates wears off too easily, and ends up in your food.

Stainless is the way to go.

Weber still makes stainless grates for 18" and 22" grills, but they don't advertise them on the website. You can call them and ask. I tried that a year or so ago but their pricing was outrageous compared to SnS, so I went with that.

Weber still makes stainless grates for 18" and 22" grills, but they don't advertise them on the website. You can call them and ask. I tried that a year or so ago but their pricing was outrageous compared to SnS, so I went with that.

Do you recall what the price was?

I see that the Weber store on Amazon sells their regular hinged grill as “Weber Hinged Cooking Grate Stainless Steel, 22”. You have to read the product details to see that it is their regular plated grill and that the color is stainless steel.

Other than the cosmetics of pretty grill marks, what do these grates do for the steak ?
It creates a great top char while allowing you to cook the perfect steak. They are aluminum so they never rust. Fairly easy to clean. Zero flair ups. People who cook SCA can add more.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It creates a great top char while allowing you to cook the perfect steak. They are aluminum so they never rust. Fairly easy to clean. Zero flair ups. People who cook SCA can add more.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

qbVSxUR.jpg

I'm not knocking the searing and cool cross hatching, or cooking on the flat side.... but it's the conductivity that I find interesting. For example I can have a somewhat small fire in my Small BGE or my Weber Smokey Joe and the Grill Grates suck up that heat quickly and are up to temp in no time.

https://www.grillgrate.com/2014/04/15/conductivity-the-science-behind-the-sear-blog/

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I just ordered the KG 6925 with (2) Flip Up doors. It’s $114 including delivery. Based on all of the reviews I expect it to meet my needs.

I will look into getting a grill grate later.

Back