THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think Meathead did a pretty good job answering this question over at Amazingribs.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/barbecue_defined.html
I'll go along with about 95% of that, it's just the parts about grilling being synonymous with BBQ that sticks in my craw a little. I love a good steak, a fish fillet or even a pork (or beef) country rib seared on my Weber Kettle or gas grill but it AIN'T BBQ.
A grilled ribeye (as wonderful as it is) doesn't look, taste or smell anything like a slow smoked brisket, It doesn't have that amazing bark on it which is a culmination of fat rendering down, mixing with a spice rub and slowly being smoked and being babied for several hours in indirect heat. The ribeye is charred, juicy and awesome but it isn't in the same category as brisket, the only things that it has in common is that it was cooked out doors and that it may be off of the same cow but... IMO it's still a different animal!:wink:
Now it is possible to make BBQ on a Weber Kettle or even a gas grill with wood chips added for flavor and set up as a 2 zone cooking area but in that process the meat isn't quickly seared over high heat, it's slowly cooked and smoked thereby making it BBQ and not grilled. If I went in to a restaurant and ordered BBQ beef only to have some dude bring me out a grilled chopped sirloin patty I'd probably have to take him outside and hurt him a little. LOL! :biggrin1:

I'll go along with about 95% of that, it's just the parts about grilling being synonymous with BBQ that sticks in my craw a little. I love a good steak, a fish fillet or even a pork (or beef) country rib seared on my Weber Kettle or gas grill but it AIN'T BBQ.
A grilled ribeye (as wonderful as it is) doesn't look, taste or smell anything like a slow smoked brisket, It doesn't have that amazing bark on it which is a culmination of fat rendering down, mixing with a spice rub and slowly being smoked and being babied for several hours in indirect heat. The ribeye is charred, juicy and awesome but it isn't in the same category as brisket, the only things that it has in common is that it was cooked out doors and that it may be off of the same cow but... IMO it's still a different animal!:wink:
Now it is possible to make BBQ on a Weber Kettle or even a gas grill with wood chips added for flavor and set up as a 2 zone cooking area but in that process the meat isn't quickly seared over high heat, it's slowly cooked and smoked thereby making it BBQ and not grilled. If I went in to a restaurant and ordered BBQ beef only to have some dude bring me out a grilled chopped sirloin patty I'd probably have to take him outside and hurt him a little. LOL! :biggrin1:

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. But, let's look at one phrase you used above: "...but it AIN'T BBQ"

In that phrase, "BBQ" is a noun referring to a type/style of food. But what about BBQ as a verb, as in "to BBQ a piece of meat" ? Or as an event, like, "I'm going to a BBQ" ?

In my mind, it's all hopelessly muddled and intertwined to the point where you can't really argue what it is and what it isn't. Meat cooked over indirect heat coupled with the application of smoke ? Does that make Beef Jerky a form of BBQ? Or what about Smoked Salmon ? Is that BBQ ? If I put a brisket on a wood burning grill and the grate is 4 inches above the coals, is that grilling or BBQing ? What if I move the grate up to 8 inches ? Does that suddenly change it from grilling to BBQing ?

Even better, say that you have a UDS. You build a small wood fire in the bottom and don't use a deflector plate. You throw a butt on to cook. Are you grilling ? Are you BBQing ?Does it matter how far away the grate is from the fire? See what I mean ? It's danged near impossible to draw a concise line and construct a definition of "BBQ". There will be so many exceptions to that definition that the definition itself becomes meaningless.

We'll, again BBQ is made slowly and smoked while grilling is searing over high heat. Cooking a butt on a UDS without a pan is still BBQ because the meat is still elevated high above the coals and wood smoke is generally being incorporated, therefor it qualifies. If you drop the grate down lower and the meat is being seared, you are then "grilling" it and that is NOT BBQ, in fact that would be a ruined butt!:p

We'll, again BBQ is made slowly and smoked while grilling is searing over high heat. Cooking a butt on a UDS without a pan is still BBQ because the meat is still elevated high above the coals and wood smoke is generally being incorporated, therefor it qualifies. If you drop the grate down lower and the meat is being seared, you are then "grilling" it and that is NOT BBQ, in fact that would be a ruined butt!:p

Well, that brings us to the PBC. When you hang ribs in it, one end of the ribs will be very close to the coals while the other end will be 20+ inches higher. So, is doing ribs in a PBC BBQing ? Or grilling?

Jerky BTW would'nt be grilling or BBQ that would fall under the catagory of "smoke cured" meat.:mrgreen:

Jerky BTW would'nt be grilling or BBQ that would fall under the catagory of "smoke cured" meat.:mrgreen:

That helps illustrate the problem Bill. here's an earlier definition you gave:

'down here BBQ is considered slow smoked meat off of an indirect cooker of some sort (with REAL wood smoke involved) where as the use of direct heat (gas or charcoal briquettes) constitutes "grilling"

jerky is most definitely slow smoked meat. it is usually done indirectly and has real wood smoke involved.

That helps illustrate the problem Bill. here's an earlier definition you gave:

jerky is most definitely slow smoked meat. it is usually done indirectly and has real wood smoke involved.
Grilling and BBQing are forms of cooking for immediate consumption, smoke curing is done over a long period of time, with very low temps to dry meat for extended shelf life,... completely different.:-D

I do not doubt that many people associate "barbecue" as the sauce and it makes no difference how the meat was cooked. I get those people and I won't try to poo-poo their ideas. But that isn't what I consider barbecue, and I won't get into the silly ranting that it has to be certain kinds of meat.

To me, barbecue is simple. It is taking a cheap, tough piece of meat and cooking it long enough at a relatively low temperature - at the meat, not at the fire - so that the tough fibers convert to collagen and ideally the fat has a chance to render. Now up to this point it is entirely plausible to call crock pot cooking barbecue but that would be missing the most important aspect, which is the flavor component derived from smoke. I guess some would then argue that if you add liquid smoke to the crock pot that you get the same flavor profile. I will leave that to the reviewers to decide. Crock pots can't give you the "burnt ends", a crust or whatever more intense heat gives your meat. And the smoke ring is also missing.

Over a direct heat or indirect to me is more about whether you get the smoke flavor from wood or from the fat dripping on the coals. I have to believe that switching to offset cooking was more about making cooking easier than the "good old days" of digging trenches, building massive fires inside them and putting rods over the whole thing to hold the meat.

I hope this helps move the discussion.

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. But, let's look at one phrase you used above: "...but it AIN'T BBQ"

In that phrase, "BBQ" is a noun referring to a type/style of food. But what about BBQ as a verb, as in "to BBQ a piece of meat" ? Or as an event, like, "I'm going to a BBQ" ?

In my mind, it's all hopelessly muddled and intertwined to the point where you can't really argue what it is and what it isn't. Meat cooked over indirect heat coupled with the application of smoke ? Does that make Beef Jerky a form of BBQ? Or what about Smoked Salmon ? Is that BBQ ? If I put a brisket on a wood burning grill and the grate is 4 inches above the coals, is that grilling or BBQing ? What if I move the grate up to 8 inches ? Does that suddenly change it from grilling to BBQing ?

Even better, say that you have a UDS. You build a small wood fire in the bottom and don't use a deflector plate. You throw a butt on to cook. Are you grilling ? Are you BBQing ?Does it matter how far away the grate is from the fire? See what I mean ? It's danged near impossible to draw a concise line and construct a definition of "BBQ". There will be so many exceptions to that definition that the definition itself becomes meaningless.

The Wikipedia article quoted in a post above seems to have the general essence. Above all, BBQ is "smoke-cooked." And to distill it down a bit more, it is best characterized by a slower, lower-temp cooking process that yields that particular character we all know is real BBQ.

But, I think there are exceptions to the above. Chicken is one example. I have done chicken low and slow, done it hNf, and grilled it using variety of smoke producing means. My favorite chicken is actually grilled, over a combination of direct and indirect heat, over a combination of charcoal briquettes and wood chunks. The result, to me, is without question, BBQ. I get a nice crispy skin, deep, rich smoky flavor, and prefer the texture of the meat over the texture I get when I slow-smoke. To me, the rich smoky flavor produced by the wood is what distinguishes this from merely "grilled" chicken.

Other meats, like brisket, MUST (in my extraordinarily humble opinion) be cooked the traditional style - low and slow, indirect. Otherwise it will never achieve the texture and tenderness, along with the rich smoky flavor, that we all "know it when we see it."

Fish, on the otherhand, I am not sure anyone can really call it BBQ. Well, maybe if you slathered it all over with some disgusting, sickly sweet syrup like KC Masterpiece or something. Fish is something you grill, poach, bake, or smoke. Or whatever. But when I do a salmon, even in my large offset pit, to me, it is smoked fish. And I love it. But not necessarily BBQ.

It is a shame that the term BBQ, noun or verb, has become so skewed as to cause people to think it's real BBQ when you're doing burgers and dogs. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to how people use words. But I think being accurate in what you're saying counts. A lot! Just call it like it is.

If I were to invite you over for BBQ, you'd be correct to expect there to be some sort of genuinely BBQed ribs, beef, chicken, or whatever, and that it would have been cooked over a legitimate wood fire. But please don't invite me over to a "barbeque" in which you are serving burgers and dogs that have been cooked over a gasser or a Weber. I'd LOVE to come over to your place for burgers and dogs! And I don't care if they are cooked over a gasser or a Weber. Don't mistake me here. But don't tantalize my taste buds and set up my high expectations by just telling me it is a barbeque.

If I were to invite you over for BBQ, you'd be correct to expect there to be some sort of genuinely BBQed ribs, beef, chicken, or whatever, and that it would have been cooked over a legitimate wood fire. But please don't invite me over to a "barbeque" in which you are serving burgers and dogs that have been cooked over a gasser or a Weber. I'd LOVE to come over to your place for burgers and dogs! And I don't care if they are cooked over a gasser or a Weber. Don't mistake me here. But don't tantalize my taste buds and set up my high expectations by just telling me it is a barbeque.

Different strokes, bro. In my definition of barbecue the only requirement for wood is to make the smoke.

For me, personally, ANY meat can be called BBQ and it can be done on ANY cooking device.

The main criteria for me is that the meat in question is exposed to some kind of wood smoke for the express purpose of flavoring said meat.

Temps, times, searing, reverse searing, gas, electric, stick-burner, underground pit- it's all good so long as the meat is exposed to some kind of wood smoke for some period of time.

Back