THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all just move on and let the team involved come to terms with the Board. I just wished someone would have approached the owner of the apron in question and advised them of the appropriateness of it ahead of time, not that it would have mattered but it would be known that they were approached before hand. I'm done with this.

Let's all just move on and let the team involved come to terms with the Board. I just wished someone would have approached the owner of the apron in question and advised them of the appropriateness of it ahead of time, not that it would have mattered but it would be known that they were approached before hand. I'm done with this.

I am with you on this. If someone would have just had the nerve to say, "Hey, you might want to rethink wearing that". I am sure those sitting around him noticed it. I hope nobody quits our wonderful hobby due to this and I dearly hope the board reconsiders this decision.

Shame to see a 3 yr ban and 2 yrs of probation become a self imposed lifetime ban. Based on his actions and how he has conducted himself in this situation, the bbq world could use more dmprantz types, not less. Having used bad judgement myself, on many occasions, I will also reserve judgement on his teammate.

I disagree 100% with the severity of the penalty. However, I do accept the BOD's ability to render judgement. They were elected by the members to exercise their judgment in the best interests of the KCBS. If we aren't happy with that judgement, we can reconsider our votes.

ML

Last edited:
Wow - 3 years - and a person who makes up score cards get 1 year.

Hmm - What happens if you play distasteful music in your site - I know of at least one board member that has with kids around.

Sould you get banned for 3 years - better take I Like Big Butts off of the IPOD player

I am with you on this. If someone would have just had the nerve to say, "Hey, you might want to rethink wearing that". I am sure those sitting around him noticed it. I hope nobody quits our wonderful hobby due to this and I dearly hope the board reconsiders this decision.

Can you imagine how that conversation would go?

BBQ Guy: “Hey dude I wouldn’t wear that if I were you.”

Apron Guy: “It’s gonna be hilarious if we get a call. What’s the worst that can happen, some little old lady gets offended?”

BBQ Guy: “No Man! The KCBS BOD will hold a special closed meeting and some will want you banned for life but cooler heads will prevail and you’ll only be banned for 3 year years!”

Apron Guy: “Yeah right”

BBQ Guy: “Plus your teammate who’s not here and doesn’t even know you’re wearing it will be banned for 3 years too!”

Apron Guy: “You must be smokin’ something!”

BBQ Guy: “Wait there’s more. After the 3 year ban you both will be on 2 years probation.”

Apron Guy: “OK I’ll bite. What BBQ probation?”

BBQ Guy: “No one knows for sure but I think it means you have to skype with one of the BOD once a month to show them you’re not wearing the apron.”

Apron Guy: “Get away from me you wacko!”

BBQ Guy: “OK but put on this foil hat”

Apron Guy: “I’m not wearing a foil hat!”

BBQ Guy: “You have to or the aliens will control your thoughts!”

This is too much.

I have been reading this since the first post.

I have been keeping my wife informed to the posts, etc..., and the bods ruling.

Even she said, "3 years????!!! WTH? Isn't that a little extreme?"

I agree with the majority here; way overboard on the punishment.

I hope there is some chance kcbs will reconsider on their own.

wallace

POLICY ON ANTI-DISCRIMINATION AND ANTI-HARASSMENT
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]It is the policy of the KCBS to make all decisions on the basis of merit and to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy governs all aspects of KCBS events, and all judges and KCBS personnel are required to abide by this Policy. KCBS also strictly prohibits retaliation against anyone who in good faith exercises his or her rights under this policy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In addition, the Society is committed to maintaining events free from harassment based on any protected characteristic. Harassment has no place at any of our events. Accordingly, KCBS does not authorize and will not tolerate any form of harassment of or by any employee, member of management, judge, or other individual engaged in KCBS activities, or on KCBS property. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Sexual harassment and harassment that is based on an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law are prohibited. This policy also prohibits retaliation or adverse action against any individual because he or she has exercised his or her rights under this policy or applicable law, or has taken part in or cooperated in any investigation or proceeding relating to either. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Harassment may encompass a wide range of physical, verbal (oral and written) and visual/non-verbal behaviors. "Sexual harassment" includes any unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or any conduct of a sexual nature when: [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of participation; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for decisions affecting such individual; or [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Such conduct has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual’s participation or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Sexual harassment may include the following: [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Offensive touching; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Other verbal or physical conduct of a sexually suggestive nature; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Verbal harassment of a sexual nature including jokes, innuendoes, graphic or inappropriate commentaries about an individual’s body; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Use of sexually degrading, offensive or hostile terms; and [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Displays of sexually suggestive objects, pictures or magazines.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Other forms of harassment include conduct that is offensive or shows hostility toward an employee because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]You have the obligation to report the following: [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If you have been harassed by another employee, member of management, judge, participant or spectator; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If you have witnessed or observed first-hand the harassment of another; [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If harassment has been reported to you by anyone; and [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If you have been retaliated against for reporting a violation of this policy or for cooperating in any investigation. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Any of the above situations are to be immediately reported. They should be reported as soon as they occur or immediately after you obtain knowledge that there has been a possible violation of this policy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Harassment is a serious matter and will not be tolerated. If KCBS determines that a [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]violation has occurred, it will take all appropriate action as warranted under the circumstances.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
"[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Displays of sexually suggestive objects, pictures or magazines."

other unpunished examples of this ITT.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

"[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Displays of sexually suggestive objects, pictures or magazines."

other unpunished examples of this ITT.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I bet 40 to 50% of team logos fall into this category. Not sure where the info on the KCBS policy came from. It was not in bylaws last I saw.

Any one know if the above anti-harrassment policy is for employment or events? Any one know if it is a sexual harrassment and hostile workplace policy, or if it applies to all forms of harrassment, even not for protected classes? It seems like a mish-mash and is hard to tell.

dmp

Does KCBS BOD have an option to "sleep on it" or table a decision for 24 hours? Or do they HAVE to vote on a matter the day they hear it?

Reason I ask this: whenever I have a big matter to make a decision on, if emotions are in play, I'll make a bad decision every time. If I sleep on it, I do better. If I have an email that tweaks me, I'll write a reply and save it to draft. Then I'll ask myself, "am I the least bit steamed"? Usually the answer is yes. If so I'll take a walk, go get a Coke (if I smoked I'd go take a smoke), or sleep on it if possible. 99% of the time I rewrite the email.

If BOD members do not have the option of voting to table a matter for 24 hours I'd like to suggest it.

Any one know if the above anti-harrassment policy is for employment or events? Any one know if it is a sexual harrassment and hostile workplace policy, or if it applies to all forms of harrassment, even not for protected classes? It seems like a mish-mash and is hard to tell.

dmp

This is in the first paragraph of the policy, which I have now underlined and made bold:

"This policy governs all aspects of KCBS events, and all judges and KCBS personnel are required to abide by this Policy. KCBS also strictly prohibits retaliation against anyone who in good faith exercises his or her rights under this policy."

And my second question about whether this applies to all forms of harrassment or just hostile workplace situations?

dmp

That was not a factor, and the period between learning of the incident and the meeting was much greater than that. One individual that received discipline called me at 2 PM on Sunday.

Does KCBS BOD have an option to "sleep on it" or table a decision for 24 hours? Or do they HAVE to vote on a matter the day they hear it?

Reason I ask this: whenever I have a big matter to make a decision on, if emotions are in play, I'll make a bad decision every time. If I sleep on it, I do better. If I have an email that tweaks me, I'll write a reply and save it to draft. Then I'll ask myself, "am I the least bit steamed"? Usually the answer is yes. If so I'll take a walk, go get a Coke (if I smoked I'd go take a smoke), or sleep on it if possible. 99% of the time I rewrite the email.

If BOD members do not have the option of voting to table a matter for 24 hours I'd like to suggest it.

Thanks Jorge. Just for the record, here is my concern and what I just emailed my team:

Guys, it seems KCBS has just banned a team for three years with no precedent. This scares me for this reason: It would more than suck if we won our first GC and afterward someone complains and says they were offended by our name. Then KCBS votes to strip us of what we’ve worked so hard for. I’m just trying to stay ahead of the game here.

We have asked our logo guy how much it would cost to alter our logo to put more of a space between Cat and Sass. It sucks but as I've learned at work, perception is reality.

I, for one, applaud the BOD's stance for no tolerance to this sort of situation. If it had been confined to a cook site, maybe I could be a bit more forgiving. My kids attend and cook with me at every event. I got into competition BBQ because it was a relatively cheap sport that all of my family could get involved in. I wouldn't take them if I knew there were bachelor party antics going on.

Mark, Cat Sass isn't sexually suggestive in any manner, and I think it would hardly fall into the offensive category. You might be over reacting a bit on getting your logo redone.

On the other hand, I guess there is a fair question there. Is the BOD ready to preapprove all team names and t-shirts so that a team doesn't have to worry about this? I can't imagine the man power that's going to require but it's a VERY fair question. If you set a precedent without setting rules on whats ok and whats not...that's not really ok.

That was not a factor, and the period between learning of the incident and the meeting was much greater than that. One individual that received discipline called me at 2 PM on Sunday.

Here is where I have to disagree, IMHO if the Rep for this contest was not a Board Member for KCBS, this incident would not have been handled so swiftly.

So what's the consensus here
- This was over the top and inappropriate behavior and not "funny
- penalty was excessive,
- Precedence set or lack there of to begin with leaves Teams concerned
- What is the Team Captain Responsibility and are they to be thrown out with the infraction whether or not they had knowledge?

My concern is the slippery slope that has been set before us. The relevance of the punishment does not fit the crime, I'm sorry but it doesn't fit. The mention of a "lifetime ban" would be funny if the conversation didn't happen. I have been in situations inside and outside of BBQ with and without my kids where I had to turn and walk away and do my best to explain the situation away or step up and say "hey, you mind knocking it off".

More importantly is knowing the rules and taking the vagueness out as much as posible. INTENT is an important factor in any situation and in court is taken into consideration and people who are charged have rights more specifically to representation. The decision is made by Judges and Juries (instructed by judges) to make a rational decision the Juries are made up of piers not Boards.

Maybe this is a chance to create a judicial arm to KCBS to evaluate, define and uphold the rules. This arm would need to consist of 8-10 members of which would be our piers, (fellow cooks) and a couple of Board members.

I would not want to go before a board for an infraction however if I had to go in front of a combined group who creates, defines and upholds the rules consisting of a jury of my piers then I could accept the punishment, knowing full well I was given it from my piers. Let's face it there seems to be no hard line on what the punishment might be for a given offense, banning or probation or nothing, who's to say??

So KCBS it is up to you to listen to the members and begin to define the rules and applicable punishments and exactly who is deciding the outcome and the procedures for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back