What happened last weekend in McMinnville, TN that warrants a special KCBS BOD meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guy was wearing an apron that had fake mens genitals hanging from the front. Not only was he sitting at awards with it on, but he wore it up when his team got a call. The worst part is that there were a lot of very young kids at the awards.

That's immature. I'm shocked he got a call with such poor judgement. I'm also shocked he didn't have a parent of young kids rip it off him.

I would like to say I am surprised but now a days there isn't much that shocks me. I don't want to sound like a complete prude but some of the actions of people at contests are getting out of hand. I like to have fun just as much as anyone, ok almost anyone but when bbq is a family event then people need to realize that the kids at the contest sites don't need to be exposed to actions like this guys and some other things that people think are funny when they are actually plain crude. It doesn't happen often and bbq'rs seem to self police so when the BOD meets about it they must have had plenty of complaints. Great work out of the BOD to take action and great job in someone reporting it.

if my wife,kid and mother in law drove 2+hours to watch awards (which they do often) and had to put up with that Id be po'ed. I probably would actually ask them to leave and make the 2+ hour drive home. Not cool at all.

what can happen to this "team"?

what can happen to this "team"?

They will be given the opportunity to appear (call in) and explain their side of the story and answer questions from the board. The board will take that into consideration, along with other information available and determine what if anything should be done.

The rules as they exist contain some options.

Yeah, it's a shame that 30+ teams there didn't have the cajones to walk up to these jackholes and say "take that stupid ____ off."

Either people are going to have to start standing up to these morons in society or it's just going to get worse. Stop being skeert of hurting someone's feeeeeeelings or embarrassing someone.

They will be given the opportunity to appear (call in) and explain their side of the story and answer questions from the board. The board will take that into consideration, along with other information available and determine what if anything should be done.

The rules as they exist contain some options.

What can they possibly explain. Guys a loser. Get rid of him. People try to be funny and think this is so cool. Nice job by the board.

Folks, I'd suggest that this might be a good time to wait and see what happens. Besides the folks that were actually there, the board has a more complete picture and more info than you are likely to find in this thread;)

As a member of the board I'll wait until everything is presented tonight to make any decision, and base it on the best information available at that time. EVERYBODY deserves a fair opportunity to be heard, and defend themselves.

I trust the bod to make an informed judgement when facts are known. If the reps did nothing to warn the offender then I'd hope they get a warning rather than being banned. If it continues then a ban would probably be appropriate.

The bod could be stating a precedent that has far reaching implications. If this becomes cause for a ban then certainly other activities will follow. What would the bod do if it was brought to their attention that teams were committing criminal acts at a contest. Last I saw its illegal to smoke a controlled substance but I've seen it more than once this year.

As a member of the board I'll wait until everything is presented tonight to make any decision, and base it on the best information available at that time. EVERYBODY deserves a fair opportunity to be heard, and defend themselves.

You know, I'd pretty much expect the Board to do that.

But let's not forget that KCBS is a private organization, not a government-run or funded and nobody has 'rights'. Sure, KCBS might afford it's members and contest participants opportunities to explain themselves, but I don't want to see post after post of ignorant people claiming people 'have rights'.

Folks, I'd suggest that this might be a good time to wait and see what happens. Besides the folks that were actually there, the board has a more complete picture and more info than you are likely to find in this thread;)

this is the kind of crap answer answer you get when you elect level headed people! Damn you Jorge! I was just about to jump on the "lynch 'em bandwagon"......guess this means we can't tar & feather the guy.
Can we at least throw eggs and protest outside his site at the next contest?:becky:

In all seriousness though, I'm curious to hear the whole story once all of the evidence is presented. While it definitely sounds like this can be filed in the "That's just a bad idea drawer", i can't wait to hear the whole scoop. This almost sounds like a weird but true story:shocked:

I agree there is some dangerous precedence to set with what happens, and I trust good folks on the board like Jorge will take that into consideration. To me this would be clearly over the top, but then, I have a t-shirt that says 'Boobs, Butts and Thighs - We rub 'em all'. So whats to stop someone from being offended by that and filing a complaint? Tastelessness is unfortunately a very wide gray line. Hopefully the guy that did it comes to his own senses. Self policing is far more appropriate for things like this, but then again, lots of folks are packing and just waiting for a chance to get all hot headed, so I can see where people are leary of approaching someone.

I agree there is some dangerous precedence to set with what happens, and I trust good folks on the board like Jorge will take that into consideration. To me this would be clearly over the top, but then, I have a t-shirt that says 'Boobs, Butts and Thighs - We rub 'em all'. So whats to stop someone from being offended by that and filing a complaint? Tastelessness is unfortunately a very wide gray line. Hopefully the guy that did it comes to his own senses. Self policing is far more appropriate for things like this, but then again, lots of folks are packing and just waiting for a chance to get all hot headed, so I can see where people are leary of approaching someone.

I think this is a great point, especially the self-policing part. Considering the "Mardi Gras" atmosphere at some contests, as well as the number of team names and logos that (i) are sexually suggestive, (ii) encourage the abuse of alcohol and/or (iii) promote illicit drug use, incidents like this are bound to happen. We are creating an environment for it. I wish all competitors would use a little discretion in their conduct at events.

I am not trying to be a prude, but most of these events occur in public parks and are connected to philanthropic organizations in one way or another. At some point you have to wonder how much the local Jaycees are going to appreciate having their big annual event associated with "Busty Babe's BBQ".

NOTE -- I randomly picked the "Busty Babes BBQ" name. I have no idea if there is a team with that name, and I am not trying to single anyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back