THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For me it's sous vide then cast iron...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sous vide for a good three or four hours then reverse seared on the Akorn.

One of these days I'm going to try cold smoking the steaks for an hour or so first.

Salt and pepper then rest on counter for about an hour or more.

Reverse sear.... Low and slow indirect on the weber kettle. Foil up some onions with mushrooms and garlic in butter and have that cooked over the coals on the weber same time steak is on.

Then move steak to the searing station on the gasser around 110 degrees. Flip frequently till pretty :-D.

Dump the onions/mushroom/butter/garlic over top of the steak and dig in.

When you sous vide steaks that are obviously vacuum sealed do they sink? I was just wondering if you needed to weight the food down when using sous vide technique. I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my list.

I'll be honest, when it comes to a good steak I actually prefer it without the smoke flavor (I know, sacrilege on this site).

I love doing it over a raging hot inferno on the kettle, but honestly I think I get the best sear doing it over raging hot fire in the cast iron on the stovetop. Then finished in the oven with a pat of butter and a sprig of thyme.

When you sous vide steaks that are obviously vacuum sealed do they sink? I was just wondering if you needed to weight the food down when using sous vide technique. I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my list.

When done correctly they kind of just hover in the water. More importantly, just make sure not to crowd the container you are using, and make sure water is around all parts of the meat.

We like to use the R&V Works Smokin cajun grill. Heat it up to 450-475 and then cook 2" thick Prime NY Strips for 5 minutes on each side.

Attachments

• steaks!!.jpg
    steaks!!.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 66
tom b;3434604[B said:
]I use a lot of mesquite, can't find a good source for oak in my area. I ordered some from a place in Santa Maria but I'm not sure the difference is worth the $ I have been rationing it out. I had to try it becuase that is what all the central coast guys swear by[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I like my Santa maria pit with lump coal and a split of red oak, hotter the better!
For a flavorful steak, it's hard to beat a good Rib eye on a Santa Maria pit over Red Oak and/or mesquite (a bit of sacrilege there). As long as I pull them soon enough - they go from perfect med rare to med in a heartbeat.

For maximum tenderness, T-Rex on my BGE.

Still working on that perfect steak (at least that's what I tell my wife when I'm cooking yet another steak )

One of the great benefits of moving from SoCal to the Central Coast. I find Red Oak everywhere. Gas Stations. Grocery Stores. I'm fairly close to Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters and even they sell burlap bags full of the stuff.

Chunks. Splits. Full logs. Just go to the right place for the right stuff.

Sigh...Love it!

Ive seen Dales a few times, but never bought it. I have had great success with Moores and Lawrys Signature Steakhouse.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lawrys-Signature-Steakhouse-Marinade-Worcestershire/dp/B003OCRXCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451589702&sr=8-2&keywords=Lawry%27s++steakhouse+marinade"]Amazon.com : Lawry's Signature Steakhouse Marinade with Worcestershire Sauce, 12 oz : Gourmet Marinades : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OriE%2Bwq0L.@@AMEPARAM@@41OriE%2Bwq0L[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MOORES-MARINADE-ORIGINAL-16-OZ/dp/B009SLNQNA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451589720&sr=8-3&keywords=moores+marinade"]Amazon.com : MOORES MARINADE ORIGINAL 16 OZ : Gourmet Marinades : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41f-7QhfxAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41f-7QhfxAL[/ame]

On my Weber Genesis after the steak has been marinating in Dales for atleast 8 hours. If you haven't tried Dales, you should give it a try. www.dalesseasoning.com

I have two bottles of Dale's in the pantry but have never even tasted the stuff. They were given to me and I thought it was just to be funny cuz my name is Dale. I will have to crack one open and check it out.

Back