THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really only have two cookers. But for steak it's always the weber kettle and usually a reverse sear! :thumb:

-my pink easy bake oven (takes a while to come to temp tho... :)

Reverse sear- smoke in the UDS unti 110-ish... Pour coals into el cheapo brinkman for the final sear... on upside down grill grates to maximize surface area searing...
--- need to build a charcoal basket for UDS so i can just raise it to grate level for grilling/searing like the others have already mentioned--- just too cheap and too lazy at the moment...

-my pink easy bake oven (takes a while to come to temp tho... :)

Reverse sear- smoke in the UDS unti 110-ish... Pour coals into el cheapo brinkman for the final sear... on upside down grill grates to maximize surface area searing...
--- need to build a charcoal basket for UDS so i can just raise it to grate level for grilling/searing like the others have already mentioned--- just too cheap and too lazy at the moment...
If it suits you then you can ala cart a basket nest from Big Poppa smokers, it comes with the hardware for low and high positions.

I like my Santa maria pit with lump coal and a split of red oak, hotter the better!

For a flavorful steak, it's hard to beat a good Rib eye on a Santa Maria pit over Red Oak and/or mesquite (a bit of sacrilege there). As long as I pull them soon enough - they go from perfect med rare to med in a heartbeat.

For maximum tenderness, T-Rex on my BGE.

Still working on that perfect steak (at least that's what I tell my wife when I'm cooking yet another steak :biggrin1:)

I use a lot of mesquite, can't find a good source for oak in my area. I ordered some from a place in Santa Maria but I'm not sure the difference is worth the $ I have been rationing it out. I had to try it becuase that is what all the central coast guys swear by

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I like my Santa maria pit with lump coal and a split of red oak, hotter the better!
For a flavorful steak, it's hard to beat a good Rib eye on a Santa Maria pit over Red Oak and/or mesquite (a bit of sacrilege there). As long as I pull them soon enough - they go from perfect med rare to med in a heartbeat.

For maximum tenderness, T-Rex on my BGE.

Still working on that perfect steak (at least that's what I tell my wife when I'm cooking yet another steak )

My best steaks, thick-cut pork chops, lamb chops, burgers, boneless chicken, salmon, tuna, swordfish, etc have all come out of a Weber kettle with cast iron accessories.

Weber use to sell a wire rack that held either a grate or two-sided grill/griddle. Pretty sure Weber doesn't sell the wire rack anymore. Have 2 or 3 of the grill/griddles and a couple of the grates.

Discovered a wire rack with one of the grates in the old OTS in the back shed last year. Thought I had left them somewhere a few years ago.

https://flic.kr/p/si2LZu

All my outdoor iron is in some state of disrepair right now. Really need to get the stuff blasted for re-seasoning.

Back