What Book For BBQ Smoking Is Considered An Industry Benchmark

The recipes is John Willingham’s book are very different and worth the price. He was a good friend of mine and I learned a lot from him.

I agree with this. Looking at my bookshelf, I'd say that what I've read really followed my level of development as a smoker (which will hopefully never stop). I appreciate the books that say Why versus just giving a recipe, but both are important. I'm now looking into buying a couple listed here, so thanks Brethren.

Hi Bill,

I agree with 100%!

Thank you.

The Aaron Franklin bbq book changed my whole outlook on cooking bbq. I knew of texas style barbecue but never really understood it. It's how I got into stick burning and is by far my favorite bbq book. The steak book is great also.

Sam Jones whole hog book is great too. I enjoy the stories and it covers cooking a hog really well. I've used the hog sauce from that book on pulled pork and it's simple but really tasty.

Elliot Moss Buxton Hall is another good one.

I have one Myron Mixon book but it's geared too much towards competition bbq for me.

that is what I gathered. I went through his 100 different sauce recipes and it was just too much and nothing really stood out as interesting. Plus, to be honest, I really don't find Paul Kirk to be the most likeable person and his writing style kind of turned me off.

Thank for you feedback.

Like others have said Aaron Franklin's book is a great read. And while not a bbq book per se, "You Too Can Achieve Wife Foo" by Happy Hapgood is a hoot!

I own all Aaron Franklins books and have seen his videos. He gets high marks from me.
Steven Raichlen is also very good. I watch his shows on PBS and other TV channels and the man can cook and explain how you can too. I don't have his books, but his shows let you know the guy can get it done and teach it as well.

My go to guy for BBQ is Malcolm Reid however. I don't know that he has books. But he has videos and he travels the country (pre-covid19) giving instructional clinics. I would eat whatever that guy fixes and I've tried a number of his recipes and he's just stinkin' great.

+1 for Serious BBQ by APL. It's well understood that he tends to make things more complicated / longer list of ingredients, but I like bringing a lot of his principles / techniques to my cooking. I found that the biggest lesson I learned and still try to impart today is bringing flavor at every step of the way - why not?

+1 for Aaron Franklin's book.

Being from NC, I also really enjoyed reading Sam Jones' Whole Hog BBQ. There's some good history in there and reads like a novel at times, and it imparts some good wisdom (both from a whole hog and general smoking).

Thank you.

@WhitesideJC

Sam's Jones book is a VERY good book and I totally forgot about it. I went to his restaurant and book signing on the day the book released. Sam's a great guy and genuinely one of the nicest (and maybe funniest) guys in BBQ. Great book with a ton of history and it will certainly get you going in cooking whole hogs.

Thank you.

Definitely Manifesto and Serious BBQ. I love the fact that Aaron is more about technique than giving out recipes. While APL's book is more recipe there is a lot of technique also. I made a comment once on this site about his fussy recipes and he actually responded so I feel like we are bffs now!

Lotsa great mentions here, kinda surprised not to see more of this one, which is pretty much my go-to. More about recipes than technique (I think Franklin's book has technique sewn up pretty damn good), but very versatile and lots of great dishes in it.

519v9brzu6L._SX260_.jpg

@WhitesideJC

Sam's Jones book is a VERY good book and I totally forgot about it. I went to his restaurant and book signing on the day the book released. Sam's a great guy and genuinely one of the nicest (and maybe funniest) guys in BBQ. Great book with a ton of history and it will certainly get you going in cooking whole hogs.

Thank you.

Lotsa great mentions here, kinda surprised not to see more of this one, which is pretty much my go-to. More about recipes than technique (I think Franklin's book has technique sewn up pretty damn good), but very versatile and lots of great dishes in it.

519v9brzu6L._SX260_.jpg

I am going to have to look this book up. I did get the Franklin book. Very good.

Thank you.

Lots of truth to what Ronbrad62 said.

I preface this by saying that I attribute Steven Raichlen for increasing my interest in barbecue many years ago...what seems like a lifetime ago, and I’ll still watch his shows and enjoy it if I happen across it on PBS.

The books below tell a much better story than Raichlen’s or “Meathead’s”, in my opinion. I’ve bought quite a few books over the years due to Brethren recommendations and these are all good. There’s more than just recipes in these books.

I have these four as well. All good books. I really like the Pitmaster book,, especially from a competition perspective.

Back