THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There isn't really enough information to determine for sure if a food-borne pathogen was the cause, but it IS possible. However, I agree with what was said before, it was probably a bug. You could call your General Practitioner's office or a local E.R. And ask a nurse if there has been a big going around.

Is everyone okay now?

I think someone came with the stomach bug and gave it to everyone. That's just seems to fast for food poisoning. Each food born illness has it own incubation period and usually they generally take longer than that.

Sounds like Norovirus virus to me comes quick highly contagious quite violent and goes within 48 to 72 hours. Worth looking into? No ones to blame for this.

I'll ask the $10 question. Have they been back to eat your cooking since? It's not really "Did the food make them sick". It's "Do They THINK the food made them sick."

Do not immediately blame beef. It's possible but you really have to screw the pooch to get sick from beef. Any of your elderly guests bring sides? I ask because I knew a person that confused Pam with Raid ant and roach spray. Nearly instant projectile vomiting followed by the south end. Another thing from boy Scout Days. Soap residue on cooking and eating utensils will flip your system. Food born, airborn and waterborne bacteria, viruses and environmental issues- hell brother it's the Wild West. Could have been the beef, I reall doubt it. Elderly folks are notorious for leaving deviled eggs out "cuz that's the what we've always done"

Not sure if this is appropriate categorized, but looking for some help in determining whether my meat might have been responsible for some sick folks.

Family gathering over two days, and on Day 1 two adult members of my wife's family are complaining of stomach problems and are making trips to the bathroom. Everyone else is happy.

Day 2, I smoke a standing rib roast that is served at about 4 pm. I think I follow safe food handling rules, but the roast does rest for a long time. Everyone eats some except the two family members who were feeling sick the day before and one who is a vegetarian.

By 8 pm that night, as people are leaving to head home, I crawl into bed with a horrible case of the runs and a general feverish feeling. I start throwing up and can't really move for the next 24-36 hours and have zero strength. I later find out that two of my BIL's (traveling home separately) each have to stop on their way home from our house to get out of the car to throw up - one doesn't even make it out of my neighborhood before being sick in my neighbor's front yard. Later that night, my wife and a couple others get similar symptoms.

Ultimately 4 people don't get sick on the night of Day 2 or the next day: the two people who had already been sick on Day 1, the vegetarian who didn't eat any of the rib roast and my MIL, who ate a normal slice of the roast.

Although I've never been to medical school, I imagine this fact pattern as an essay question on a medical school exam - there are some facts that seem to say it was the meat and others that seem to say it was something else that was already going around in the family.

Whaddya all think?

Sounds like a food related illness. The roast could've already been tainted or could've been something during prep or cook..... who knows?? At least it sounds like mainly In laws got sick so, congrats on that!!

Stop beating yourself up over it. Coming from someone who had food poisoning in the military, it doesn't effect people in multiple stages. Although incubation of the spores may vary slightly from person to person, but from my experience everyone gets ill almost at the same time, and it certainly does not happen right after eating. Incubation of clostridium perfringens is about 10/12 hours. Most other forms take almost a week before they show any signs of symptoms.

I agree with "Landarc" the first two were carrying a bug like stomach flu.

Yep....this.

From webmd.com:

"After eating tainted food, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting, can start as early as one hour in the case of staph and as late as 10 days in the case of campylobacter. It may take even longer to develop symptoms from parasite infections such as Giardia. Symptoms can last from one day up to a couple of months or longer, depending on the type of infection."

It's on the web so it must be true:mmph:

Just throwing this in because of my experience of what I believe to be food poisoning.

On a trip to Boston my wife and I walked to the north end for dinner where I had a seafood casserole. As we wandered back to the hotel I started to develop cramps. Short version: sever nausea and diarrhea, chills, shivering the entire night. 99.9% sure it was food poisoning.

I don't mean to say your food was the cause of the problems, just that in my own experience food poisoning can develop fairly quickly.

I've had very bad food poisoning three times that I know of. They all started within 4-6 hours of eating the tainted food.

Stop beating yourself up over it.

I'm long past worrying about it. At this point I'm just intellectually curious.

And its probably a good sign that the inlaws have all eaten my cooking since then. So whether or not it was my fault, THEY don't think it was my fault.

And that's what really matters! ;)

Not sure if this is appropriate categorized, but looking for some help in determining whether my meat might have been responsible for some sick folks.

Family gathering over two days, and on Day 1 two adult members of my wife's family are complaining of stomach problems and are making trips to the bathroom. Everyone else is happy.

Day 2, I smoke a standing rib roast that is served at about 4 pm. I think I follow safe food handling rules, but the roast does rest for a long time. Everyone eats some except the two family members who were feeling sick the day before and one who is a vegetarian.

By 8 pm that night, as people are leaving to head home, I crawl into bed with a horrible case of the runs and a general feverish feeling. I start throwing up and can't really move for the next 24-36 hours and have zero strength. I later find out that two of my BIL's (traveling home separately) each have to stop on their way home from our house to get out of the car to throw up - one doesn't even make it out of my neighborhood before being sick in my neighbor's front yard. Later that night, my wife and a couple others get similar symptoms.

Ultimately 4 people don't get sick on the night of Day 2 or the next day: the two people who had already been sick on Day 1, the vegetarian who didn't eat any of the rib roast and my MIL, who ate a normal slice of the roast.

Although I've never been to medical school, I imagine this fact pattern as an essay question on a medical school exam - there are some facts that seem to say it was the meat and others that seem to say it was something else that was already going around in the family.

Whaddya all think?

I'm seeing 2 people sick before you even cooked the rib roast, let alone served it.

I was thinking that Colonel Mustard did it, but more likely Mayonnaise.

I have had a severe case of food poisoning in Mexico and it happened within an hour and a half. Chicharrone (sp?) street vender. I was convinced that I was going to die in Mexico that day. Got back to the US and went to the ER because it was so bad. I was violently sick for 4 days straight. They had to prescribe me something that was a derivative of curare just to ease the diaphragm spasms.

I think it was the salmon mousse! Seriously it sounds more like the 2 sick people got everyone else sick. I believe food poisoning is a lot more rare than people think.

Back