Wanting to buy my 1st Smoker

Just my two cents worth, at that price point I would get and 18" WSM and invest $50 in a Gateway rib hanger kit. You would have essentially a PBC AND a dedicated water smoker rolled into one. You would not believe how good whole chickens are cooked hanging!

Thanks everyone for the info. Seems like everyone pretty much says WSM , PBC or UDS. My only thing is the 18 WSM big enough to do a couple Pork Butts and a couple racks of ribs? Just don’t know if I can get the 22 and wireless thermo without the wife saying too much lol. Goal is one day to ha e a pit that I can cook whole hog on since I do live in Eastern NC and that’s what we are all about lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you can fit a couple of pork butts and a couple racks of ribs on the 18 WSM. The ribs would fit better lengthwise on the 22 WSM, but you can definitely make them fit on the 18 WSM by either: 1) using a rib rack, 2) cutting the racks in half, or 3) loosely rolling the racks up and staking the ends together with skewers.

I've been kicking the idea around for another smoker.

For $400 I've been looking at the Old Country Pecos offset smokers at Academy Sports.

for an offset, the pecos is a pretty nice smoker and it will produce great Q,

but it will not be as easy to use as a uds or wsm since you have to add wood every hour or so.

with the charcoal smokers, you can put the meat on and go to sleep.

for his first smoker I would recommend something a little easier.

I own both WSM 22 and PBC....Both are great. The WSM is fool-proof, the PBC is not. I've seen others have success with brisket on their PBC...Personally I have no interest in cooking a brisket on the PBC. I've seen a turkey rig for the PBC...Considering the smoked turkey I get off the WSM, I wouldn't even try it either. Chickens and ribs are pretty much relegated to the PBC due to convenience as compared to setting up the WSM and the time saved. Bigger more expensive cuts of meats go on the WSM due to a much higher chance of perfection by the temp control offered and more even cooking. Although I haven't cooked any yet, fish would for sure be put on the PBC. Also if I were to do a Peking duck, that would go on the PBC...I've done Charsiu and that will only ever be cooked on the PBC. Hook and hang style can be accomplished on the WSM...But setup will be a bit longer, can't speak to results as I've never done it. I can emulate a PBC on my WSM, I can't emulate a WSM on my PBC.

Yea I wish I could get a 22 WSM from CL or something. I am really wanting to get something before Thanksgiving so I can fix at least a couple Butts for my family. Cooked my first last year on my kettle and my family has now called me wanting more lol. The 22 WSM would prolly be my choice but the PBC just looks like it would be fun to cook on. They are both solid choices just want to get the best I can for the money I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, all the UDS wisdom has fallen on deaf ears.

I will now respectfully bow out of this thread.

either the pbc or wsm will be great, but neither as good , nor as cheap, as a UDS.

good luQ

Yea I wish I could get a 22 WSM from CL or something. I am really wanting to get something before Thanksgiving so I can fix at least a couple Butts for my family. Cooked my first last year on my kettle and my family has now called me wanting more lol. The 22 WSM would prolly be my choice but the PBC just looks like it would be fun to cook on. They are both solid choices just want to get the best I can for the money I have

Weber Smokey Mountain - 22-1/2" - New from Amazon, delivered to your house in a couple of days - $399.00:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001...67&sr=8-3&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain+22.5

You can get the 18-1/2" from the same place for $$299.00

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001...48&sr=8-3&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain+18.5

Both are great cookers. Ribs and briskets fit better on the 22-1/2". The 18.5" will work fine for both, but not as easily. The 18.5" is more portable if you want to take it with you somewhere else.

ok, all the UDS wisdom has fallen on deaf ears.

I will now respectfully bow out of this thread.

either the pbc or wsm will be great, but neither as good , nor as cheap, as a UDS.

good luQ

Lol I still want to build a UDS as well but not sure if I will be able to find a donor Weber by now and then

I may be beating a dead horse here, but here goes.
For your first smoker, I recommend buying one ready to go, either the WSM or the PBC. My first was a WSM 18.5", and I still have it. It's so easy to produce good food. A buddy of mine chose the PBC, and he also produces really good food. You can set it and forget it, which is important with a family. There are also a lot of things that you don't know about smoking, that you will learn about using a unit that's ready to go. It's an art, and as you cook good food, you will become more interested in it and want to tweak things here and there, modify it, etc. But you're taking a variable out of the equation buying a smoker that's ready to go. If you build one and it wont hold temp well, where will you start with figuring out the problem? Will you ever figure it out? Maybe you'll just get frustrated and decide smoking isn't for you (blasphemer).

I don't think you can go wrong with either the PBC or the WSM, but for my .02, I wish I had ponied up the extra cash for the 22.5" because I hate having to roll my ribs or use rib racks. It's also tough to fit a full packer on the 18.5. However, if money is super tight, and you simply wont be able to afford the 22.5" AND a good, reliable thermo, I don't think you will go wrong with the 18.5. It served me well for two years before I upgraded, and it's still in my arsenal.

Good luck!

If you like hanging meat get the pbc if you prefer cooking on the grate get the wsm you can cook a lot of meat on the 18 wsm and you can also cook alot of meat on the pbc they say you can put meat on either one at night and go to bed and get some sleep but seriously how often will you be doing that

If you like hanging meat get the pbc if you prefer cooking on the grate get the wsm you can cook a lot of meat on the 18 wsm and you can also cook alot of meat on the pbc they say you can put meat on either one at night and go to bed and get some sleep but seriously how often will you be doing that
I had a hanging kit for the WSM 18.5, so I could hang Ribs and Chicken.

Back