Wanting to buy my 1st Smoker

Commercial smokers like the WSM and PBC are great, but I would build a UDS. There is great satisfaction cooking delicious food with something you made. Depending on the age of you kids, they can help with the build. Mine (ages 4, 7, and 8 at the time) helped me build mine. The night of the burn out was a big hit with the family.

I pulled great food off my UDS for almost a decade before I stepped my game up and but down money on a smoker. My UDS cost me under $80.00. By far, the best money I ever spent. I honed my craft and cemented my love for bbq on an amazingly reliable and affordable cooker. She sure is ugly too.

Where are you located? Have you checked your local Craigslist? You might be able to get more bang for your buck this way

Now is the time to do it! I picked up my barely used, 1 year old Pit Barrel Cooker with a cover, 8 hooks, and the poultry hanger for $200 from a fine gentleman moving to Chicago. It sat on craigslist for a week before I noticed it. Nobody else was even looking. In July, that thing would have sold in an hour.

Best $200 I ever spent!

Live in Eastern NC. I have several searches saved into Craigslist for all kinds of smokers and Weber’s. Can never seem to find any good deals on any in my area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugly drum smoker. can be built for $80 or so if you don't get fancy.

it has no leaks like a WSM, and once you get your temp going it will hold the temp and you can go to bed and wake up to perfectly cooked food.

I have one that burns sticks and one that burns charcoal like everyone else. the charcoal burner actually has more smoke flavor than the stick burner.

Given your pricepoint, I'd say you can't go wrong with either a PBC or a UDS.

One thing that tipped me in favor of the PBC is the portability. A 55 gallon drum was just a bit bigger than I wanted to lug around to family reunions etc.

S3xzol1h.jpeg

Fe219YQh.jpeg

Pit Barrel Cooker
+
22.5” Weber kettle

Can do anything between those 2, and it’s just about your budget.
Good option.

He's got the kettle already so I say PBC also. Seems like you're fairly busy with the kids so the PBC is easy to use, meets your capacity needs and falls within your budget.

Admit your problem early. Go get a big trailer pit. Every day I regret not going big right off the bat.

Kidding. WSM, PBC or UDS. All good options.

But that pitmaker Vault/Sniper dual axle number does look enticing...

Thanks everyone for the info. Seems like everyone pretty much says WSM , PBC or UDS. My only thing is the 18 WSM big enough to do a couple Pork Butts and a couple racks of ribs? Just don’t know if I can get the 22 and wireless thermo without the wife saying too much lol. Goal is one day to ha e a pit that I can cook whole hog on since I do live in Eastern NC and that’s what we are all about lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the info. Seems like everyone pretty much says WSM , PBC or UDS. My only thing is the 18 WSM big enough to do a couple Pork Butts and a couple racks of ribs? Just don’t know if I can get the 22 and wireless thermo without the wife saying too much lol. Goal is one day to ha e a pit that I can cook whole hog on since I do live in Eastern NC and that’s what we are all about lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a WSM 18.5 it was a great smoker but I sold it because I wanted more room, the PBC which I like a lot is the same size. If I would have purchased the WSM 22.5 originally I'd still own a WSM.

You could always make yourself a cinderblock pit to cook that whole hog. :thumb:

UDS - size of the 22" WSM - you can build one for $125-$150 with 2 cooking grates plus a water pan grate or difusser.......

lets break it down for him

$35 unlined drum with lid
$22 for two grates from walmart
$5 for bolts
$2 for two magnet sheets to cut up to cover intake and exhaust holes
$30 for charcoal basket, lets say. mine cost a lot less than that but i had to buy a 4x8 sheet of expanded metal lol

total $94. that leaves a lot of money in your budget for a diffuser. I bought mine from the thrift store for $2.

I think it can be done for under $100 and make just as good q as anything out there.

btw, the UDS is so cheap I built two.

one to burn stick when I feel like messing around with the smoker,
one for charcoal when I want to set it and forget it and come back later to cooked food.

I need to mess with the stick burner more as it has less smoke flavor than the charcoal burner (crazy, I know) but with those two drums, I can cook A LOT of food at once. and Im in for about $160 for both

I did splurge for a heatermeter though so I can monitor and change my temps from anywhere as long as I have my phone and internet connectivity.

attachment.php

Back