Walmart Beef Ribs?

Hang on now.... there's some decent briskets coming out of Wally world from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I second that. I've had good luck with Walmart choice brisket. Even when they didn't have choice, the select was pretty good too.

Back to the topic of those beef ribs - you are paying for bones. I made that mistake a few years ago.

I've asked my local grocery if they carry beef ribs but they do not. My local butcher does carry them, but when I asked they said the ribs were frozen and I'd have to buy the whole slab.

I was at Walmart recently and saw they carry beef ribs. Think the brand is BBCue. Anyone tried these before?

They're garbage. Almost no meat on them. I get mine from the Kroger butcher.

Sad for me. Was hoping I finally found a spot to get beef ribs. Might need to personally talk with the grocery store butcher to get a request in. Thanks for all the great info!

Sad for me. Was hoping I finally found a spot to get beef ribs. Might need to personally talk with the grocery store butcher to get a request in. Thanks for all the great info!

You should be able to find good beef ribs at either Sam's, Costco or BJ's. I have visited the BJ's in east Orlando many times while visiting family and have always been impressed with their meat counter, but always bought steaks. I know back home locally, Sam's carries thick beef ribs. They usually slice thin for Korean BBQ so you have to ask for whole slabs.

Robert

You should be able to find good beef ribs at either Sam's, Costco or BJ's. I have visited the BJ's in east Orlando many times while visiting family and have always been impressed with their meat counter, but always bought steaks. I know back home locally, Sam's carries thick beef ribs. They usually slice thin for Korean BBQ so you have to ask for whole slabs.

Robert
I get my beef ribs and tri-tip from publix. Sam's only has the big vac bags of beef ribs but my local Sam's won't cut them unless I buy the whole thing which is an average of $120+.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There are two types of beef ribs.
Beef Back Ribs: These are what is left when they trim the bones off of whole rib roast (to make boneless rib eyes). There is usually very little meat left on the bones and are not worth the effort. ( butchers waste pile)

Beef Short Ribs:
These come in a "plate" with 3-4 bones. These are the backside of a brisket and are meaty and tasty. These are what you want when you cook beef ribs (Brisket on a stick)

Beef Back Ribs: These are what is left when they trim the bones off of whole rib roast (to make boneless rib eyes). There is usually very little meat left on the bones and are not worth the effort. ( butchers waste pile)

Beef Short Ribs:
These come in a "plate" with 3-4 bones. These are the backside of a brisket and are meaty and tasty. These are what you want when you cook beef ribs (Brisket on a stick)

Perfectly put.

These used to be way better, and meaty-er. Maybe they went with a different brand now?

100_6033.jpg
100_6070.jpg
100_5816.jpg
100_5825.jpg

They're back ribs and quite good if you cook them right. I found these decent Choice rack some time back and liked it.

20140801_161935.jpg

20140801_162012.jpg

Pretty meaty

rTCX-5VQt-y-lgqWG1Hnh2yhiz9I6Q_uvRFhGb9cG0c=w1358-h764-no

20140801_173228.jpg

20140801_200846.jpg

20140801_210513.jpg

20140801_210503.jpg

20140801_213240.jpg

Beef Short Ribs:

I believe there are three types:

Beef Plate Short Ribs (IMPS #123A), just below the rib eyes, are cut in three-bone racks (are ribs #6,7,& 8.

Beef Chuck Short Ribs (IMPS #130), cut just above the brisket, cut in a four-bone rack (are ribs #2,3,4,& 5).

Beef Back Ribs (IMPS #124), these are the rough equivalent to pork baby backs, supplied as a seven-bone rack (ribs #6,7,8,9,10,11, &12).

Last edited:
Back