Whattya do with a whole sirloin tip roast?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

I just was looking at the local grocery store sale ads...this week they have whole sirloin tip roast on sale for $3.99/lb.

I've not done much with this in the past....from what I recall it can be a tough piece of beef, without much connective tissue or fat. This is advertised as "choice" grade.

Is there anything one can do with it in an offset smoker and have it turn out any good?

Anyone familiar with this cut?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

As others have said, jerky or slow roast at low temp and slice very thin across the grain for Italian beef, French Dips, cold deli or hot roast beef and gravy. Really helps if you have a slicer.

Local BBQ restaurant, Fred's Hickory Inn, started in the mid '60's signature meat is smoked sirloin. Fork tender and amazing smoke flavor cooked low and slow with hickory, served in 1/2" inch slices.

I have one...

As others have said, jerky or slow roast at low temp and slice very thin across the grain for Italian beef, French Dips, cold deli or hot roast beef and gravy. Really helps if you have a slicer.

I actually have a pro level deli Hobart slicer. I picked one up at auction awhile back and now that you mention it, it likely needs to be used soon.

I've never made or had "Italian Beef"....I'll have to look up what that is, but sounds interesting!!!

Do you have any links to Italian Beef recipes you like?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I actually have a pro level deli Hobart slicer. I picked one up at auction awhile back and now that you mention it, it likely needs to be used soon.

I've never made or had "Italian Beef"....I'll have to look up what that is, but sounds interesting!!!

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

if you want authentic chicago style italian beef start with the recipe at AmazingRibs.com it will get you going on the right foot. my wife has never had italian beef to this day that she hasn't cooked herself and this is the recipe we started at, though we've tweaked it to our tastes, it is very good. the bread is the hardest thing to find for us.

OH no...

if you want authentic chicago style italian beef start with the recipe at AmazingRibs.com it will get you going on the right foot. my wife has never had italian beef to this day that she hasn't cooked herself and this is the recipe we started at, though we've tweaked it to our tastes, it is very good. the bread is the hardest thing to find for us.

LOL...ok, wow....I just went to the AmazingRibs.com site...and fell straight down the rabbit hole.

I'm now plotting and planning to cure my own corned beef, to make into pastrami!?!?!?

LOL.....ok, I need to eat something, I"m drooling around the keyboard now...

(hmm...I wonder if I could make pastrami with the sirloin tip roast instead of a brisket???)

cayenne

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Oh yeah, it's on now. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out the diff between Italian Beef, Maryland Pit Beef and the roast beef that I do :)

I slather with a light coat of oil and then season heavily with SPOG. Into the smoker at 225 to 250ish with some Hickory or Pecan. Usually take the meat to about 125ish at most if a nice bark has formed.

Pull it, let it cool down a bit, throw it in the fridge and then slice, portion into 1lbs piles then vac pack and freeze.

Later, I can pull a pack and use it for cold deli sandwhich, or make an au jus for french dips. Or a dark brown gravy for hot roast beef sammies.

Makes sense to me to do large batches as the time in the smoker and the clean up of the slicer is the same regardless of how much you make (for the most part). Does take longer to slice, portion and vac pack, but some of that is just time shifted anyways.

1082580_10152343594769185_1789907802_o.jpg

10258266_10152348617709185_2433827346207007713_o.jpg

1890463_10152348617634185_2291767688499336509_o.jpg

10014808_10152348617779185_6092496813895617872_o.jpg

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Get yourself some Minor's Beef Au Jus base. ( RD sells it ) Add 1 tsp per 1 cup water to a roasting pan along with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and itallian herbs. Simmer/Roast that Sirloin Tip till it reaches 135F IT. Remove from oven, Strain drippings into a container. rest Sirloin Tip for 30 minutes, wrap in saran wrap overnight in fridge. Slice super thin and bring drippings to a low simmer ( 145F ) and dip into drippings, then onto a italian roll, top with Pickled vegetables ( i prefer thinly sliced pickled celery like Al's )

20230521-204600.jpg

20230522-040709.jpg

20230522-041114.jpg

Last edited:
LOL...ok, wow....I just went to the AmazingRibs.com site...and fell straight down the rabbit hole.

I'm now plotting and planning to cure my own corned beef, to make into pastrami!?!?!?

(hmm...I wonder if I could make pastrami with the sirloin tip roast instead of a brisket???)

cayenne

Idiot.

Now you're one of US!
:bow:

cayenne

I did a whole packer a few years ago following AmazingRibs instructions, it came out fantastic.

Back