THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hairyashell

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Adeeb Md
Hi all...new to the forum here. I've doing BBQ for a while now on my traditional pipe offset. Now considering to get a bigger smoker and came across the vertical offset options with bigger capacity but with smaller footprint. So I am considering a vertical one instead of a larger horizontal.

My question to those who have some experience with both is this...I understand that horizontal offsets have a bigger draw and pull depending on the length of the smoke stack causing more smoke flavor to pass over the meat compared to other kind of smokers. I may be wrong here but the vertical offset smokers don't seem to have enough convection running thru the chamber compared to a horizontal offset and thus having slightly less flavorful outcomes when it comes to smoking. Please kindly share your experiences. I'd love to hear from you all.

I actually came ta the understanding that the vertical stickburners pull like a freight train...but it's BBQ and we are all wrong as often as we are right. It's a fickle and elusive lass...this BBQ thing of ours....maybe Aaron Franklin has it figured, perfected...he of course doesn't use vertical smokers, so there's that I spose. I like the footprint and capacity of verticals and in my experience they draw just fine.

-D

I have an LSG vertical and it drafts like a dream. Since heat rises there is less path for it to travel straight up the stacks so it burns a lot cleaner. Draft is so insane that when you fully open up the intake and stacks it howls like a furnace. You literally hear the howl. All said and done you DO NOT get any LESS smoke flavor then a horizontal. You can also hang if you chose for nice clean no grillmark look to your food. I wanted capacity and small footprint. Ton of space also.

Some pics I found of mine

IMG_1440.jpg

STykSroh.jpg

i4esjC2h.jpg

Ix4zdxxh.jpg

20141111_185305.jpg

20141109_155844.jpg

IJJqzEzh.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap ssv3! You're really selling that smoker. All that food looks amazing! Now I want one!

I have an LSG vertical and it drafts like a dream. Since heat rises there is less path for it to travel straight up the stacks so it burns a lot cleaner. Draft is so insane that when you fully open up the intake and stacks it howls like a furnace. You literally hear the howl. All said and done you DO NOT get any LESS smoke flavor then a horizontal. You can also hang if you chose for nice clean no grillmark look to your food. I wanted capacity and small footprint. Ton of space also.

Some pics I found of mine

IMG_1440.jpg

STykSroh.jpg

i4esjC2h.jpg

Ix4zdxxh.jpg

20141111_185305.jpg

20141109_155844.jpg

IJJqzEzh.jpg

Awesome photos! Nice hear that it has great draw. Thanks for all the input guys.

Where do you get the chic halves?
Can't get anyone to cut for me because of cross cantanimation.
Paul B

Bought whole then cut them in halves. Super easy to do. You may want to try a butcher shop or mom and pop owned store. There are plenty around me so when I get chicken from them I ask and they run them through the band saw plus trim off the fats.

Where do you get the chic halves?
Can't get anyone to cut for me because of cross cantanimation.
Paul B

Knowing the why will go a long way in getting butchers to do custom cutting of all meats.
First and formost,in large super market stores,butchers come to work at 4am to 6am depending on how much meat is needed to restock counters and keep them stocked all day. Not all employees are permited to operate saws so just because someone is behind counter doen't mean they will cut meat.

Secound consideration (which answer's your question) by USDA and health department laws,once pork or poltury touches a knife,table,employee hands,grinder or saw,it must be cleaned and disinfected before it is alowed to touch beef. Conversley the law alows cutting poltury and pork without cleaning up after cutting beef. That being the case,butcher cut's all the beef then cuts pork and poltury then clean's the equipment. After that,employees use the least number of saws (usually only 1 ) to cut beef throughout remainder of day. To save labor,most stores stop doing custom beef cuts 3 or 4 hours before closing time. During those 3 or 4 hours,a butcher cut's pork and poltury for the following day then clean's the equipment.

What I said above explain's why you might see the butcher cutting meat late in the day but he refuse's to cut beef steaks for you but might cut your chickens or pork for you although he wouldn't a few hours earlier. Many stores turn lights out behind meat case up to 4 hours before closing time.

Ok,to get custom cuts;
A. Don't wait until you get off work to go in and ask for 2" steaks to cook when you get home. Order them well in advance of closing or better still,the day before.
B. Ask for special cuts of chicken and pork with laws above in mind and don't forget to express your gratitude to mgr and meat counter.

What does all this have to do with offset vs vertical? Not one thing,I posted because I know more folks look at smoker comparions than any other subject and figure this info would be welcome regardless how one torture's meat.:thumb:

Knowing the why will go a long way in getting butchers to do custom cutting of all meats.
First and formost,in large super market stores,butchers come to work at 4am to 6am depending on how much meat is needed to restock counters and keep them stocked all day. Not all employees are permited to operate saws so just because someone is behind counter doen't mean they will cut meat.

Secound consideration (which answer's your question) by USDA and health department laws,once pork or poltury touches a knife,table,employee hands,grinder or saw,it must be cleaned and disinfected before it is alowed to touch beef. Conversley the law alows cutting poltury and pork without cleaning up after cutting beef. That being the case,butcher cut's all the beef then cuts pork and poltury then clean's the equipment. After that,employees use the least number of saws (usually only 1 ) to cut beef throughout remainder of day. To save labor,most stores stop doing custom beef cuts 3 or 4 hours before closing time. During those 3 or 4 hours,a butcher cut's pork and poltury for the following day then clean's the equipment.

What I said above explain's why you might see the butcher cutting meat late in the day but he refuse's to cut beef steaks for you but might cut your chickens or pork for you although he wouldn't a few hours earlier. Many stores turn lights out behind meat case up to 4 hours before closing time.

Ok,to get custom cuts;
A. Don't wait until you get off work to go in and ask for 2" steaks to cook when you get home. Order them well in advance of closing or better still,the day before.
B. Ask for special cuts of chicken and pork with laws above in mind and don't forget to express your gratitude to mgr and meat counter.

What does all this have to do with offset vs vertical? Not one thing,I posted because I know more folks look at smoker comparions than any other subject and figure this info would be welcome regardless how one torture's meat.:thumb:

Nice post and reminder to us that our smokers are useless without the men and women who work behind the counters to help us out!!

Bought whole then cut them in halves. Super easy to do. You may want to try a butcher shop or mom and pop owned store. There are plenty around me so when I get chicken from them I ask and they run them through the band saw plus trim off the fats.
This.

Super easy to halve a whole chicken, don't need them but get a good pair of Poultry Shears makes quick work of it.

Sako,

Great pics and write up. I'm curious about temperature gradient with the vertical. I've been thinking more and more about something like you have just to get away from having to lift the offset door (bad back). I think the 30" is a pretty good size. What's interesting is they have the 30" vertical and 30" offset. Look to be roughly the same just turned on the side. Curious though what the temp difference is from top rack to bottom and left to right.

Sako,

Great pics and write up. I'm curious about temperature gradient with the vertical. I've been thinking more and more about something like you have just to get away from having to lift the offset door (bad back). I think the 30" is a pretty good size. What's interesting is they have the 30" vertical and 30" offset. Look to be roughly the same just turned on the side. Curious though what the temp difference is from top rack to bottom and left to right.

Thanks Robert,

Here's a complete breakdown and detailed description on my rig.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899

As far as temps it's pretty even all around and across the six racks. Only hot spot is right near the double stack all the way left on the top two racks. Basically right where it draws the heat and smoke. On that note, there is plenty of space so I leave the top two rack very left corners empty since there is a ton of space. Also, I never flipped anything even fully loaded and cooks all the food evenly.

As far size, I think the 30" in vertical is awesome. When I ordered in 2014 they only had the vertical cabinet offset which is what I have. The horizontal cabinet came later which I would've got if it was available. The smoker is top heavy so that's what I would've preferred. I mean it's not like it's going to topple over or anything as it's built solid but it is top heavy. As far as space though, the one I have is a winner.

I've even cooked a whole pig on it. You can fit a 40lb+ pig racer style with no problem and then some.

20141231_153631.jpg

S36We0J-L8uBj5akyGNNxw1IPKg6uPYCx-cFzY8yyec=w1358-h764-no

Back