Vermouth?

Such a shame to waste good bourbon...
I hear ya, but once in awhile I do enjoy a properly made Manhattan. Do you like your bourbon, neat, rocks, splash of water? Do you have any go-to pours?

I had the pleasure of sharing a 12 year old Wild Turkey 101 with my dad two weeks ago. It was distilled in 1980 and bottled in 1992. The store I frequent accidently kept it in a warehouse for several years and just recently put it on the shelf. It was rich and flavorful and so good I actually briefly felt much classier than I am. :laugh:

I hear ya, but once in awhile I do enjoy a properly made Manhattan. Do you like your bourbon, neat, rocks, splash of water? Do you have any go-to pours?

I had the pleasure of sharing a 12 year old Wild Turkey 101 with my dad two weeks ago. It was distilled in 1980 and bottled in 1992. The store I frequent accidently kept it in a warehouse for several years and just recently put it on the shelf. It was rich and flavorful and so good I actually briefly felt much classier than I am. :laugh:

33 year old Wild Turkey. Score! :thumb:

My go to is actually a Tennessee sour mash, George Dickel No. 12 or Barrel Select(Not too often). Neat, or sometimes with one or two ice cubes depending on cube size.

Now, having said that, I also enjoy Woodfords, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark and Elijah Craig 12 for the affordable brands of Bourbon.

Now, having said that, I also enjoy Woodfords, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark and Elijah Craig 12 for the affordable brands of Bourbon.

Those are all very nice as well as the Dickel products. If you want a (when on sale) affordable pour that is knocking on Knob Creek's heals, give Jim Beam Black a try. It is the same recipe as Knob but 8 years old (Knob is 9) but at lower proof (86 vs. 100). Also, if you have a Costco in your area, Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon is the same Beam recipe at 7 years old but at 103 proof. $19.99 a liter.

Cowgirl, hopefully we are not hijacking but maybe you are interested in some of this Tennessee/Kentucky nectar.:clap2:

Can't get liquor at Costco in Tennessee. Only Licensed Liquor stores are currently allowed to sell anything over 6% ABV.

Those are all very nice as well as the Dickel products. If you want a (when on sale) affordable pour that is knocking on Knob Creek's heals, give Jim Beam Black a try. It is the same recipe as Knob but 8 years old (Knob is 9) but at lower proof (86 vs. 100). Also, if you have a Costco in your area, Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon is the same Beam recipe at 7 years old but at 103 proof. $19.99 a liter.

Cowgirl, hopefully we are not hijacking but maybe you are interested in some of this Tennessee/Kentucky nectar.:clap2:

Not worried about hijacking at all! I've enjoyed the education. :thumb:

I did make my beans with dry vermouth, they came out very tasty! Hope to post pics soon.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

If you have sweet red vermouth, mix in equal parts with gin and Campari for a Negroni. Serve in a tumbler with plenty of ice. Being an expat Brit, i actually need gin and tonic for medical reasons (it makes the malaria bearable/worthwhile) so mixing the gin with other drinks is always good.

Now, you lucky Americans have Nollets Dutch Gin - recently launched and very good, and Deaths Door Spirits who make good gin and vodka in the US. :thumb:

If you have sweet red vermouth, mix in equal parts with gin and Campari for a Negroni. Serve in a tumbler with plenty of ice. Being an expat Brit, i actually need gin and tonic for medical reasons (it makes the malaria bearable/worthwhile) so mixing the gin with other drinks is always good.

Now, you lucky Americans have Nollets Dutch Gin - recently launched and very good, and Deaths Door Spirits who make good gin and vodka in the US. :thumb:

Thank you for the info!

Back