THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went to the UP often as a kid because all my grandparents lived in the Keweenaw. There's a place on US-2 maybe 6-7 miles west of the Mackinaw Bridge called Lehto's. Opened shortly after WWII. My earliest memory of restaurant pasty. Wasn't really a restaurant. More of a shack by the side of the road with a couple tables where you could get pasty to go. They were pretty good back then. Place has changed hands a couple times since and I haven't been there in over 20 years. For those that never had a pasty you can order them shipped frozen online Lehto's Pasties. Please don't shoot the messenger because I have no idea how good they are now.

For anyone planning a trip to Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula (has a fairly low rate of covid...not many folks up there), this article is a few years old but the ranking of these UP pasty places is probably still accurate. They nailed number 1, picking Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium. Place has been there long as I can remember and the pasty is the best I've had (sorry Mom). Great breakfast, too. If you plan to visit the Keweenaw Peninsula, it is a must stop.

13 U.P. pasties you must try on your next visit

Love rutabaga in pasty. It's also been a staple with my family at Thanksgiving. Can be prepared just like mashed potatoes. Usually put a pile of mashed rutabaga right next to the pile of mashed potatoes. Rutabaga is excellent with turkey gravy, even better than potatoes.

Rutabaga is claimed to have many health benefits in articles like this Rutabaga Fights Cancer and Aids Digestion. However, read down to the side effects...flatulence.

There use to be another great pasty place in Negaunee, little west of Marquette, that we'd hit if it was open when passing through. Got a late start back downstate one trip and they were open. Picked up a dozen and got back on the road. They were delicious but not that big as pasties go. By the time we stopped at The Bridge for the night I'd eaten 3 of them. Got a motel and went to bed. Few hours later I started going off like a cannon. And they were flat-out nasty...the kind where even you don't want to be with yourself.

Drove the rest of the way home next day with the windows down.

Ed, those look right on the money - I need to make some soon!

Ed's son; Happy Birthday and thank you for wearing the blue! I hope that despite the worthless "news" and social media, that you and all of your brothers and sisters in blue know that you are HUGELY appreciated by the vast majority of the country!

My wife and her whole family are Cheeseheads. She was born in Janesville. I will have to ask her to make this Georgia boy a patsy! :)

Because their the only ones who will get this!
So because he was so good all year (never made national news for being a cop) daddy gonna make him a birthday treat, a half dozen pasties.
Born in Pontiac the only time I got a pasty (Verners ginger ale and salt rising bread) was summer vacations. For years tried to copy a decent pasty and finally hit on a good recipe. So here's how.
Mince up beef and pork minute steak.

Next up is some onion and carrots (no rutabagas).

Thin sliced taters.

Next using my official pasty template.

Wax paper below and above, perfect 10" circle of dough.

Fat cup of mixture and a gob of butter. Fold it over and roll the edges and slit for steam.

First three on parchment paper ready for oven.

6 beauties egg washed and on its way to a 400* bake.

Out of the oven to cool before freezing overnight.

This one could have been mine if the Mrs. hadn't been home!

So I ended up having frozen pizza, the little sh*t better appreciate it...
Blue Lives Matter (to me).
Ed

So why is it that you could only get Vernors on summer vacation?

Looks good for a Yankee. We make one here called a Natchitoches Meat Pie. WTF is a rutabaga? :caked:

Rutabagas are turnips.

Only had Natchitoches Meat Pie once but they were mighty tasty.

Got friends from Michigan and one of these days gonna do a road trip with them up there.

Rutabagas are turnips.

Only had Natchitoches Meat Pie once but they were mighty tasty.

Got friends from Michigan and one of these days gonna do a road trip with them up there.
Sort of a golden-colored turnip. I like the flavor of rutabaga better.

The U.P. has always struck me as different, living in the L.P. most of my life. Highly recommend a trip there.

They did eat very well!! Thanks again for the great Bday present!!

While sickened merely by the sight of that lake of ketchup next to those pasties I feel compelled to ask what abomination you put on top of them...?

While sickened merely by the sight of that lake of ketchup next to those pasties I feel compelled to ask what abomination you put on top of them...?

It's butter, but just a more convenient way of doing it instead of buttering every bite.

Back