THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chilidog

Full Fledged Farker
I bought a turkey breast and am going to try Naturiffic harvest brine and smoke it on the Weber grill.
Do I need to wrap it at some point?

I smoke my boneless breasts for 3 hrs at 225. I then foil wrap. I add a half stick of butter and a half cup of chix broth. I actually use a half foil pan and cover with foil. Remove from oven at 160 internal. Enjoy. If you want a sweeter version, sprinkle turbinado sugar and honey on top before wrapping.

The simple unassuming tasteless turkey breast. Also one of the best dam things you can make on a smoker if done right. The way we do it down here in TX is really hard to beat and it’s dead simple. Here’s my method.

1) Get large boneless breast from the butcher or buy breast on the bone or buy whole turkey. NEVER buy the butterball boneless turkey breast. It’s packed full of so much sodium and other stuff it really changes the flavor.

2) If still on the bone, remove.

3) Brine overnight in a basic brine.
Brine ratio:
1 gal cold water
1/2 cup kosher
2/3 cup brown sugar.

4) Pull breast, rinse and sprinkle with rub.
Rub ratio:
2 tbsp coarse pepper
1 tbsp kosher
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

5) Smoke 275 with oak wood until around 150 or about 2 hrs

6) Lay double layer of foil, 1/4 stick butter on foil, breast top side down on butter, place another 1/4 stick on top and wrap. Return to smoker.

7) Pull when 160. Leave in foil and rest for 30 min -1 hr minimum. Can remain wrapped in cooler all day. Do not let temp drop below 140

8) Carve against grain about pinky thick. Drizzle butter from foil on top and serve. Enjoy!

rWN2X6q.jpg

c80EU9K.jpg

qmJxpRy.jpg

HhKlW6C.jpg

I do a wrapped step on mine, but I remove both the bone and the skin, yes you heard right..... then inject (or brine, or use a curing brine) and season. Turkey thighs with skin-on are on the left with turkey breast fillets on the right.

P4OI1kF.jpg

Pit cam view

PQxP8uQ.jpg

The side that formally had the skin goes down in the foil

4rs2kXQ.jpg

I do a butter bath for the thighs, they can be skinless too!

8Yxw3ic.jpg

The bark that forms on the breast looks so much like skin it fools people all the time.

R0GXQgr.jpg

My favorite seasoning is just black pepper, and the same drill works with chicken breasts. I do these every two weeks so we have turkey or chicken for salads and sandwiches.

c0iHj4E.jpg

H4oVFLO.jpg

When I can find them I smoke them to about 150 and then do the butter in foil wrap to finish them. They come out fantastic.

The trouble is it's really tough to find the giant turkey breasts like what is cooked in texas bbq joints where I live. It seems like you need access to a food distributer. Occasionally I can find the netted roasts but they are smaller pieces really expensive, up to double per pound what I can buy brisket for.

Back