THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
So, I have been testing out a couple of new to me items for the kettle. I recently got a BBQ Vortex, and have been trying a few things with it. I am also one of the early adopters for the new Naturiffic Poultry Brine.

As a point of reference, due to my kidney issues, I can no longer eat enhanced poultry, nor can I use traditional commercial brines, as they both contain phosphates. The Naturrific brine lists exactly what is in it.

I need to work with the Vortex some more, as you can see with the light scorch mark.

t-br-done1_zpsxjw1szon.jpg

However, that was mostly on the skin, and the very thin part of a poorly butchered split turkey breast.

t-br-slic1_zpslt01ehpy.jpg

Here it is sliced. I cooked in inside of the Vortex, with a mixture of lump and Kingsford Mesquite hardwood briquettes. This cook started at 275°F and ramped to 400°F. The 6 pound split breast ran for two hours and was pulled at 165°F (thanks to Oldyote, I have a Thermapen to know these things). It was tender, moist, held together perfectly. The flavor of the brine was clearly apparent in the edges of the meat.

t-br-plt_zps9pxmtvcy.jpg

See that smoke ring? I made a quick pan gravy from the drippings, some water, olive oil and flour. Sliced thick or thin, perfect serving slices, great flavor and texture. I ate two servings.

It all looks freaking awesome, but I really want to rip all that skin off and eat it with a butter roll :-D.

In all my tests at home, I was really pleased with how the skin turned out when using the Harvest Brine.

Lookin' great my friend! Going to buy some of that Naturiffic.com product soon. Their salts look awesome!

Thanks Marty!

I was quite disappointed with how this turkey breast had been butchered. At least half the skin had been trimmed off when it was split. The skin was delicious. No biscuit was needed.

I've been being "good" by eating more whilte poultry meat, like chix and turkey breast - and I gotta say I've been enjoying it more than I thought I would - lotsa ways to go with that stuff. I got a Vortex last week and I think it's a pretty dang cool little device. As to the salts - looking forward to trying those!

Looks darn good to me Bob, sure could use a plate of that for breakfast!

Back