Trying to decide on new offset

Give Dub at KCSMOKERCO a call. He does great work. It looks like you're in St. Louis so he is close in KC. I love the smoker he custom made for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Give Dub at KCSMOKERCO a call. He does great work. It looks like you're in St. Louis so he is close in KC. I love the smoker he custom made for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check them out

Both the pits you mentioned are great pits (seems so anyway as I have neither). I have a semi local dealer for Outlaw. They still charge the freight charges as they had to pay to have it shipped to them (central Florida). I was ball park quoted $5500.00 and I'd have to drive a couple hours one way to get it. They had one in stock.

Continued doing my research and was getting close on a Mill Scale. Then stumbled on a Workhorse video and started down that worm hole. Pulled the trigger 8 days ago on the 1975 model with upper shelf, side steel folding shelf and Cowboy firebox. With tax $3,373.71 OTD. If I want it delivered I can get it as low as $555 or $888 if I am in a hurry. At this time I plan on picking it up.

Do a search on Youtube for Workhorse smokers. The 1957 or 1969 model may be more the size you want and they are even less expensive. Just my two cents.

This sounds exactly where I am at right now. I've really been eyeing up the workhorse pits over the past few days. I'd love to have the Mill Scale or Outlaw I think but looking at 5-6k is the obvious dilemma for me

It’s awfully hard to beat a workhorse pit for the money. 3/8” steel and cooks very evenly and so easy to operate. I’ve had mine for about 9 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

from St. Louis, you're only about 2-1/2 hours from Peoria Custom Cookers. You could probably drive up, see their operation and discuss options, then pick it up when it's done. That's what I did a few years ago.

Peoria Custom Cookers

@Sandro,

I've got nothing bad to say about Big Phil as what he's building is a great smoker for a great price. That said it's definitely not on the "higher end" and it comes with limited customization.

I'm really curious why you say Big Phil's Blue Collar back yard pit is not on the "higher end". Is it just because of the price? If not, what are you basing that comment on?

I may be biased because I have one on order, but taking price out of the equation, I fail to see how this isn't every bit as good (if not better) than the workhorse pits 1975 or even the Millscale 94 gallon, it's the same size at 24x48, the cook chamber and firebox are both 3/8" thick, the smoke stack looks to be just as tall and per Phil is a 6" INTERNAL diameter (not sure what the Workhorse is but the Millscale definitely looks less than 6" diameter), and it has a "collector like both of them. Plus, have you seen the quality of the welds on Phil's pits? That dude is a master welder and is just laying down "stacks of dimes", and I like that Phil is building all the Blue Collar pits himself, while his hired help builds the regular line of pits. I've spoken to a couple of people that have received their pits and all are saying they are built like a tank and run like a dream.

And I don't know where the idea of "limited customization" came from. I added an upper grate with 3 additional Tell True gauges for upper and lower on each side, two probe ports, a folding stack and a stack damper, and a brass ball valve. With all of those add on's, my price before tax and shipping was $2,415.00, which you can build out the same thing on his site, the only add on that is not listed is the brass ball valve which is $25.00. That's significantly less than the $2,784.00 that Workhorse charges for the bare bones 1975 with just the single grate and no add on's. Doesn't seem like limited customization to me.

And the things I don't like about the Workhorse is there is no grease bridge blocking grease from dripping back in to the firebox (yes, I know you can raise that side of the pit, but that shouldn't be needed IMO), and I don't like the baffle at the throat. Plus, after speaking directly with Workhorse Pits they told me that the delivery driver will drop the smoker at the base of the driveway and won't even help you get it in to the garage due to "insurance liability issues". That's an issue for me as my driveway has a decent slope, and I'm fairly new to my area so I don't have too many people I can call to help me. If that smoker shows up and I can't get someone over to help me I'm totally scr*wed. All of those things were deal killers for me. I asked if they could add a grease bridge and they said no, they do not offer any customization at all, which was the nail in the coffin for me.

And while I haven't talked to Millscale I don't think they offer customization at all either, and the price is just too much at $4,775.00 plus whatever the upper rack add on costs. That's over $1,000.00 more than what the Blue Collar pit is costing me with all my add on's plus tax and shipped right to my door all the way in California (and he said the driver will help me get it in my garage).

For me, it just seems Phil's Blue Collar pit is a much better value over the Workhorse Pits 1975, or the Millscale, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Outlaw Patio owner here. If you're okay with running 275-300, it would hard to find an easier stick burner to run. It drafts so well, even if you let your coal bed get too low, new sticks still ignite and it's easy to recover. It's very sensitive to small changes on the intake and exhaust vent. Plus, it just looks diesel. Jay and his crew are great guys to deal with as well. More expensive than any other patio models?....maybe, but you get a lot in the standard build with the insulated fire box, stainless steel front shelf, gloss paint. None of that stuff is really necessary on a patio model, but it is a thing of beauty to look at and as already mentioned, very easy to run as far as stick burners go.

I'm really curious why you say Big Phil's Blue Collar back yard pit is not on the "higher end". Is it just because of the price? If not, what are you basing that comment on?

I may be biased because I have one on order, but taking price out of the equation, I fail to see how this isn't every bit as good (if not better) than the workhorse pits 1975 or even the Millscale 94 gallon, it's the same size at 24x48, the cook chamber and firebox are both 3/8" thick, the smoke stack looks to be just as tall and per Phil is a 6" INTERNAL diameter (not sure what the Workhorse is but the Millscale definitely looks less than 6" diameter), and it has a "collector like both of them. Plus, have you seen the quality of the welds on Phil's pits? That dude is a master welder and is just laying down "stacks of dimes", and I like that Phil is building all the Blue Collar pits himself, while his hired help builds the regular line of pits. I've spoken to a couple of people that have received their pits and all are saying they are built like a tank and run like a dream.

And I don't know where the idea of "limited customization" came from. I added an upper grate with 3 additional Tell True gauges for upper and lower on each side, two probe ports, a folding stack and a stack damper, and a brass ball valve. With all of those add on's, my price before tax and shipping was $2,415.00, which you can build out the same thing on his site, the only add on that is not listed is the brass ball valve which is $25.00. That's significantly less than the $2,784.00 that Workhorse charges for the bare bones 1975 with just the single grate and no add on's. Doesn't seem like limited customization to me.

And the things I don't like about the Workhorse is there is no grease bridge blocking grease from dripping back in to the firebox (yes, I know you can raise that side of the pit, but that shouldn't be needed IMO), and I don't like the baffle at the throat. Plus, after speaking directly with Workhorse Pits they told me that the delivery driver will drop the smoker at the base of the driveway and won't even help you get it in to the garage due to "insurance liability issues". That's an issue for me as my driveway has a decent slope, and I'm fairly new to my area so I don't have too many people I can call to help me. If that smoker shows up and I can't get someone over to help me I'm totally scr*wed. All of those things were deal killers for me. I asked if they could add a grease bridge and they said no, they do not offer any customization at all, which was the nail in the coffin for me.

And while I haven't talked to Millscale I don't think they offer customization at all either, and the price is just too much at $4,775.00 plus whatever the upper rack add on costs. That's over $1,000.00 more than what the Blue Collar pit is costing me with all my add on's plus tax and shipped right to my door all the way in California (and he said the driver will help me get it in my garage).

For me, it just seems Phil's Blue Collar pit is a much better value over the Workhorse Pits 1975, or the Millscale, but that's just my opinion.

I agree the Big Phil Smoker appears to be the same quality of the Workhorse. The standard WH 1975 includes the linseed, probe port, extra thermometer, and folding stack. The Big Phil smoker with those options is $564 cheaper, so that may be perfect for those not wanting to spend more than $3K total (including shipping and tax). I know Workhorse's shipping rates are very good, but they are raising those prices soon. If I was looking to buy today, it would be between Big Phil's backyard and Workhorse 1975.

Back