THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BoLiles

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bo
So I got a load of beef cheeks because the cut seemed interesting and I had seen a few fellow Texans smoking them. Well my first batch was a disaster. I was doing them alongside a pork shoulder running at 300. Dalmatian rub. Minimal trimming. 2 hours naked on the smoke, mopped one with a thin glaze, then panned and foiled with a broth for another 3. Pulled at 209 which was about what ppl said online to cook to. Rested and then when I went to reheat and slice or chop? Tough and none of the connective tissue broke down. I had promised a batch to a fried and now I am grasping at straws how to provide a good product to them. Any advice?

Beef cheeks I do at 225-230, they need a LONG time to break down all the gristle. Five hours isn't enough, mine take 8-9 hours. When it's done, the meat should be sticky and sweet. I've seen some of the Texas guys cooks, they get MUCH better cheeks than what I can get. I get mine from Wally World, only place I can find them.

Thanks for the tips...I’m going 250 and crutching them and going as long as needed. Probably 7-9 hrs

Back