Tried to change my wife's view of lamb chops

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Yeah, she's not a fan of 'em. I like lamb but don't get to cook it too often since it's not popular with anyone in the house except me. So, I grilled some loin chops and tried to make them as great as possible to start changing her mind.

Marinated in a fairly classic lamb marinade paste of fresh rosemary, mint, basil, oregano, EVOO, lemon, red wine vinegar, garlic, S&P. Also went with a rosemary-lemon vinaigrette asparagus.

x9LwGDwl.jpg

Thick enough for a reverse sear, so went low (225) on the kettle with hickory until about 110*. Only took about 25 minutes. Just starting to get a little color...

rHxgZ4dl.jpg

Then seared using GrillGrates. Seared for about 90 seconds per side.

Jd6kKI3h.jpg

Plated. Got the beautiful medium rare lamb I was shooting for.

S52bPkNh.jpg

Best lamb I've ever cooked. Wife was impressed--still prefers a cheeseburger, but I'm making progress. Thanks for checking it out.

Try some well done for your wife, as med-rare holds the strong lamb flavour probably too much for the non-fans.

I also notice the “tails” have been cut off the chops. Even if cut off they are a treat when well grilled as the crunchy layers of fat and chewy meat combine beautifully with seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning. Non-slimming.

I cook things that my wife likes, and some goes into the freezer.

I cook things that she doesn't like, and she eats things from the freezer.
It all works out in the end.

One thing you might consider....I was "encouraged" to lamb growing up. My grandparents being basically totally Norwegian believed that "mutton" was lamb (yes, technically it is, like an old dairy cow is "beef" ) I hated that stuff and avoided it at all costs. Fast forward 20 years. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place at a friends house and had to "eat lamb"....that sh** was GREAT! I quizzed him to no end! But the truth was mostly just the age. I have had a bunch since (I really like discovering new flavors and it was awesome! ) But the point being there is a vast difference in flavor with the age of the lamb (alive)

A really excellent effort.

Ditto regarding the tails... but here's the thing. Have noticed these mid loin chops sell in our Costco with the tails already removed. I refuse to buy them that way, as I consider this the best part, but you might not have a choice. The other thing is that the tails are really fatty and maybe if you serve that up to your wife it might not be the best idea afterall.

In regards to Lonwayfromhomes comment... no, please don't overcook lamb like this in any way. That's usually why people don't like it very much. Your solution to bring your wife into the fold is to make her a lamb burger with a bit of pork fat in the minced lamb and again... make sure it's juicy.

Outstanding cooking. Where's my invitation to dinner????:becky:

Next time you just invite me over. I'll pick up everyone's slack. :becky: Heck of a job Kanco! Looks outstanding. :clap2:

Thanks guys! I'm going to have to admit something....what are tails on lamb chops? I can't envision it. And yes, Costco chops.

Lamb-Loin-Chops1-510x600.jpg

That little tail is Decadent.
Interesting to what Bill said, I love Costco chops and did not notice the tail was missing until now.
Great chops here though, thick and Tasty

Your lamb chops look great! I love them grilled and then make up a whole made mint sauce with mint from the garden. Can’t beat it! Looks like you nailed it!

I'm with your wife, not a fan of lamb. Great looking cook though!
It's that gamey taste that turns me off. I've heard that if you soak Deer meat in milk before grilling it kills the gamey flavor. Anyone know if that will work for lamb too?

Back