THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seems we have glossed over all the details! ???
attachment.php

What I see in Julie's face is. "Why am I posing for pictures when I could be eating this delicious looking steak." Am I right Bo?

This whole Tri-tip thing must be a west coast deal because very few stores in my hood carry it. Anyway, I don't care what the people above me said :blah:, if Bo made it.... I'd hit it and don't give a hoot how it was sliced. I am more curious about the "details" though!:hug:

The only thing I can add to a lot of good tips on the tri tip is to get one that is untrimed. That is one lean tri tip you have. I try to allways get mine untrimed. Fat is flavor. Give it a little trim, put on you spices and cook. Before slicing for serving cut the charrred fat cap off and enjoy.
That is a mess of good looking foodies:grin:

I did not. I dipped it in the marinade for the tri-tip. Dipped, not marinaded. Obviously whatever I did was an experiment with flavor as the goal. I have no tastebuds to speak of, and it takes strong flavors to excite my palate.

gotcha...I must have misread it....I wish we could get tri tips out here on the east coast...very, very rarely have I ever seen one out here...Midwest I could always find them...I do like them..good change of pace from your "normal" cuts of beef

if Bo made it.... I'd hit it and don't give a hoot how it was sliced.

That is one of the kindest, most generous compliments I have ever received Gary. Thx!

"Details" details... Nothing serious to report. Do not misunderstand, this is one very nice lady and a guy could do 90% worse, that is for sure. It's a little too soon after the divorce to think about getting involved right now. We date and enjoy each other's company. Took her with me on the bike to a comp in Prescott, AZ. Ask me again in another few months...

Hi Bo, I was not gonna ask about the woman, figured you made no comment, I would make no comment. Now, on to the tri-tip.

I never marinade them for myself. I use a basic rub of kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and dried orange or lemon zest in proportions of 1, 1, .5, .25 up to 1.5, 1.5, .5, .25.

I no longer grill them, which is against the norm of Santa Maria style, which I am well versed in. I prefer to smoke them for 1 to 2 hours at 225F or until I get internal temperatures of 220F to 225F. At this time, I dump a load of fresh lit coals into the kettle and get the temps up high and sear the outside. I want the internal no more than 130F maximum on the grill. Remove and rest under foil tent for 15 minutes.

For cutting, you have to cut each 'leg' of the tri-tip at different angles, the tri-tip grain switches angles at the bend, which is something of a bother.

Doing this, I have now cooked maybe 10 of these and each one has been meltingly tender yet very beefy. Here is a link to my latest effort

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2010/06/tri-tip-and-catering.html

Last edited:
Give Tri Tips another chance.
Simplify the seasonings and sear it HOT for 3-5 minutes/side initially.
Then go indirect, add some wood and wait for the meat thermometer to hit 140...
ENJOY!!!

PS - If you can't tell, us Cali posters defend Tri Tip with everything we have:)

I have been promoting the high heat smoke for years. Still use the high heat method and get raves. They simply cut like butter! Keep in mind, I cook over 2000 lbs. yearly and the greatest compliments I get comes from the high heat smoked stuff.

Back