THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I began my catering career in Santa Maria, CA in 1980. The ONLY thing I knew or cooked was Top Block or Tri-Tip on an open Santa Maria style pit. I sometimes cooked chicken for an optional meat. When anyone said "BBQ Pit" I assumed that it was an open pit.

In 1990 I attended a Farm Show in Stockton, CA and talked to Paul Melton, who was manufacturing and selling "Bushrod" smokers. He must have been a hell of a salesman because I bought the smoker although I laughed at it. I then started smoking tri-tip.

I am fortunate to own both a smoker capable of holding 4 cases of tri-tip and an open pit that will hold the same. I have learned the advantages of both.

The open "Santa Maria" style pit cooks much faster---as a caterer that is sometimes important. The open pit is "authentic" "Santa Maria" style, which is important to some customers. The sear and "back off" style of cooking causes a hard bark on the outside of the tri-tip which makes fast carving dificult. I cook with simple spices and simple methods---as "Santa Maria" style is intended.

BUT Wait----I have a smoker! Smoked tri-tip is awesome also. Customers weekly tell me "This is the best tri-tip that I have ever had." Whether it is smoked or grilled. Slow smoked tri-tip has no hard crust on the outside---it can be sliced quickly and evenly. Sugar or brown sugar can be added to the rub without burning on the outside. I love smoked tri-tip.

I agree with Big Brother Smoke and Bigmista about the merits of smoked tri-tip. However as a "Santa Maria" style purist---I also grill tri-tip. I am in California--99.9 % of all catering gigs are tri-tip. I have had one request for brisket in the last 5 years.
Catering on site is also a "Dog and Pony Show" and I usually use the open pit ---people can smell and SEE the meat cooking. The smoker is simply a big black object that smells good and the meat cannot be seen.

There are many ways to cook tri-tip and I have tried them all--grilling--smoking--fat on--fat off--searing--reverse searing--on a pitch fork over a fire for "Cowboy Fondue"--in a dutch oven--and other methods. I do not cook 1 tri-tip at a time--I cook cases. My favorite tri-tip to eat is smoked at 225 degrees and not seared.

My favorite way to cater is straight up "Santa Maria Style" using oak wood.
My own opinion is that most people try to improve on the "simplicity" of simple tri-tip cooking by putting in more steps and labor---but the improvements are in vain. I use tried and trued and old methods. It works for me.

For cutting, you have to cut each 'leg' of the tri-tip at different angles, the tri-tip grain switches angles at the bend, which is something of a bother.

Doing this, I have now cooked maybe 10 of these and each one has been meltingly tender yet very beefy. Here is a link to my latest effort

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2010/06/tri-tip-and-catering.html

Good advice and dead on about the meat grain changing direction.. One other thing I have found is that the tri tips that are more round than elongated are better (Juicier and more tender) at least for me anyway...

Back