Traditional NC Pork Shoulder w/ fixins

that's some great lookin' eats!

Thanks, it was a tastey meal that brought me back to when I first tried bbq when I moved stateside back in 1988.

Put those leftovers in your cambro and head north about 1.5hrs. I will buy the beer.(great traditional style cook)

Later,
Doug

Unfortunately my cambro is the big double one on wheels and I have a sports coupe for a car, so I can't fit the cambro in it. So you will have to come on down to Va Beach and get some, I'll even provide the beer.

That looks really good. I love those beans. I have never seen it done with salt that way

The beans are dang good. I don't typically like bbq baked beans, but I like these beans. Give the salt bark a try, you will be suprised at how well it turns out.

Great looking pulled pork!

Thanks! Even the internaltional members like the pictures of my cooks :)

Fantastic feast!

It was definitely yummy. One of my friends that night, asked me to do pulled pork, mac and cheese and beans for her son's eagle scout ceremony.

:hail:
drooling.gif
drooling.gif
:hail:

I've been wanting to try the salt bark thing for a while - it really looks fantastic - all of it does.

Very nicely done although it seems my invite got lost in the mail.

I've been wanting to try the salt bark thing for a while - it really looks fantastic - all of it does.

Very nicely done although it seems my invite got lost in the mail.

It will get there i promise! USPS is terrible now a days.

Just curious, what does the salt coating do?

Front what I have seen this cook, the salt helps retain moisture on the top of the meat, but the sides and bottom still weep like normal. Also since there is no other seasoning on it, when you chop the meat your are seasoning the meat with smoked salt. Any excess salt broke loose before chopping and the amount of salt that held on to the meat was almost the perfect amount to season the chopped meat all the way through.

I can't tell you science wise about what it did. But the smoke ring was bigger, the moisture was just as moist as any other butt I did, but the seasoning of the meat with the salt bark before the finishing sauce was almost spot on. The finishing sauce made the chopped pork really sing and was perfectly balanced with the seasoning.

You need to swing by Richmond first! I may have to try this style sometime this winter!

Come on down to Va Beach anytime!

I have actually tossed around the idea of doing a Virginia/Mid Atlantic bash at my house or location by my house.

Come on down to Va Beach anytime!

I have actually tossed around the idea of doing a Virginia/Mid Atlantic bash at my house or location by my house.

I would be all about that! Webberlamp on Brethren is my teammate and lives in Va Beach, we have tossed around the idea of a Va/Mid-Atlantic bash as well, we should plan one!

I would be all about that! Webberlamp on Brethren is my teammate and lives in Va Beach, we have tossed around the idea of a Va/Mid-Atlantic bash as well, we should plan one!

We definitely should plan and make it happen when it warms up! I think it would be a blast to meet brethren from around the area, shoot the chit, and just have an outright good time.

I'll post something in the Brethren Bashes subforms and see who would be interested.

Amazing! Cackalacky can't be beat in my opinion. Can't wait to head back down that way once my business up north is finished.

Looks great Aawa!
Toss more. We should have one. (But closer to MY house!)
I was thinking about a Shenandoah Nat'l. Park, Skyline drive location.
Is there someplace down 95 above Richmond, like on the Rappahannock?
I'd need to camp. Maybe near Williamsburg? We need Boshizzle and Shenco to come as well!

Amazing! Cackalacky can't be beat in my opinion. Can't wait to head back down that way once my business up north is finished.

Wrap that business stuff up!

Looks great Aawa!

Toss more. We should have one. (But closer to MY house!)
I was thinking about a Shenandoah Nat'l. Park, Skyline drive location.
Is there someplace down 95 above Richmond, like on the Rappahannock?
I'd need to camp. Maybe near Williamsburg? We need Boshizzle and Shenco to come as well!

Thanks,

Check out the Bashes sub-forum. I just threw out the Virginia Beach area, because there is a really large body of water, and it is typically a destination stop for people that might want to make a vacation out of it.

I think having Boshizzle, Shenco, and other VA, MD, and NC brethren showing up would make it a really great time. We can definitely look into having it by Richmond, but it would make planning much harder for me since I know the Hampton Roads area much better since I have pretty much lived here since 1988. The more interest shown in the Bash thread the more we can gauge where we should possibly have it.

Wrap that business stuff up!

Thanks,

Check out the Bashes sub-forum. I just threw out the Virginia Beach area, because there is a really large body of water, and it is typically a destination stop for people that might want to make a vacation out of it.

I think having Boshizzle, Shenco, and other VA, MD, and NC brethren showing up would make it a really great time. We can definitely look into having it by Richmond, but it would make planning much harder for me since I know the Hampton Roads area much better since I have pretty much lived here since 1988. The more interest shown in the Bash thread the more we can gauge where we should possibly have it.

Not to get off topic but it sounds like a darn good time to me!

Well looks like I'll be doing one of these this weekend!

Nice! You will not be disappointed. The finishing sauce is definitely key to traditional style carolina chopped bbq. Here is my recipe. I use about 1/2 cup per pork butt.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/8-1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Although everything looks amazing and makes me want to try everything. .. But please tell me a bit about the Slaw recipe... thanks mike

Thanks. Here is my cole slaw recipe.

1/2 medium head of cabbage hand shredded
1/2 red onion sliced super thin
1/2-1/3 cup shredded carrots
1 1/2 tablespoon salt

Mix the veggies together and sprinkle salt onto it and place in fridge for 2 hours to leech the water and get tender. After 2 hours, rinse the veggies drain water from bowl.

1-1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoons tarragon
1 big squeeze of agave nectar (sometimes use 2)
1 big squeeze of frenchs yellow mustard
1-2 cups of mayo (depends on your taste)

Put the tarragon in the apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 20-30mins. Mix in the agave nectar and mustard. Slowly add mayo to taste. Let sit for minimum 2 hours to let the flavors get happy.

After 2 hours, mix the wet ingredients with the veggies and place in fridge for minimum 2 hours to get super happy together.

You will get a nice sweet and tangy note from the vinegar and turbinado and then a subtle richness from the mayo that was added. It isn't as heavy as a complete mayo based slaw and isn't as in your face as a vinegar based slaw. It is something inbetween which appeals to the both vinegar and mayo based slaw eaters.

Back